Meet Vann McDuffie, Extra-Curricular Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Vann McDuffie
Hometown: Wake Forest, NC
Year: Senior
Major: Business Management

Q: So, we hear you are really involved on campus, can you tell us about the different clubs and organizations you’re a part of?
A: Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity- I was really involved my first three years as Public Relations Chair and President and now I serve as the Alumni Relations Chair and a member of the New Member Committee.

Appalachian Student Ambassador- Every member has his or her own position; last year I served as Membership Interactions Chair and I currently serve as Membership Logistics Chair.

Q: Wow, you have definitely kept yourself busy since day 1 at Appalachian, how do you juggle all of your responsibilities?
A: Tons of practice. I’ve always been this busy and time management is definitely a must. I want to do and be a part of everything I can so the only way to do that is to be good at managing time.

Q: Do you think you’ll always be this busy in life?
A: I want to be busy until I hit a place in my life where it’s time to chill. But busy doesn’t just mean work life. Whether it’s volunteering, traveling, or entertainment, I want to do things, I don’t want to live a boring life.

Q: So, do you have a favorite organization?
A: I can’t say that I have a favorite organization. Each one takes up a good bit of my time and I put a lot of effort into each organization. I represent both organizations whether I’m at a Pike event promoting Ambassadors or vice versa. I’ve learned a lot from both of them and I hope I can leave a legacy in each.

Q: Ok, so if you can’t pick a favorite, tell us what the coolest thing about being a PIKE is?
A: I like how PIKE has its own style. There’s not one “cookie cutter” PIKE, we’re all different, come from different backgrounds, and that’s how I like it. Even though we’re all different, we all get along and have a lot of fun together. That’s what the brotherhood of PIKE is all about.

Q: And an Ambassador?
A: The Coolest thing about being an Ambassador is that I get to show potential freshman around campus and try to convince them that they should come to Appalachian State. I love our campus, the faculty, and the staff, and I want everyone to have the experience that I did. Having a student come to ASU because of the tour you gave them is definitely one of the most rewarding experiences.

[pagebreak]

Q: With your involvement, do you have any real time for a social life? What about girls?
A: Haha I make sure I have a social life. It’s another one of those time management skills…I have to balance school, extra curricular, and social life. Sometimes my social life gets a lot more of my time than it should, but everyone needs some fun. And being so busy definitely leaves me no time whatsoever for girls, that’s just out of the picture completely. Sorry ladies.

Q: We have noticed that you hang out a lot at Klondike on the weekends. Besides Boone’s favorite little trailer bar, where is your favorite place to hang out?
A: Besides Klondike, I’d have to say tailgating specifically at Parsonage rather than Duck Pond. It gets to be pretty fun.

Q: What is your biggest accomplishment thus far in college?
A: Definitely landing my internship in DC working for a Senator this past summer. It was an incredible experience, and I got a good idea of what I might want to do in life.

Q: Speaking of that awesome internship, do you have any plans for after graduation?
A: Right now I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do. I have a bunch of different jobs lined up as possibilities but I’m still trying to land that dream job. Could involve moving to Charlotte, Atlanta, DC, or somewhere abroad. When I find out I’ll let ya know.

Brittany Fielding is a senior studying Apparel Design and Merchandising at Appalachian State University. She loves to write, shop, exercise, watch sports, and spend time with her friends and family. Originally from Cleveland, OH, Brittany plans on moving back to a big city after graduation to pursue a career in fashion buying/merchandising. 
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!