Meet Tyler Brown, front man of Tyler Brown Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name:   Christopher Tyler Brown
Age: 23 (his birthday is today, October 9th! )
Year:  Senior
Major:  Exercise Science
Hometown:  Charlotte, NC
 Website: www.tylerbrown.bandcamp.com

Q: What made you decide to take your music from a personal experience to a performance level?
A: I started a hardcore band in high school with a few of my best friends to do something with music.  I realized soon after that I really enjoyed both writing and singing, so I started experimenting with that.  After the first show or two, I fell in love with being on the stage [and the feelings of being] completely vulnerable and completely invincible at the same time.

Q: What are some of your favorite things about performing on a college campus?
A: I definitely love the diversity of people.  I have friends that love music just as much as I do and they will come out to support me and be a part of it. But then I have friends that just come out to have a good time and see what it’s all about.  It feels like everyone there is on the same level, regardless of his or her reason to come out for a show.

Q: How did you find your band and decide that everything fit together the right way?
A: I’ve had the honor of playing with a lot of different people, mostly friends, but the downside is that it’s difficult to find that fit when the lineup is constantly changing.  The group we have right now is definitely heading in the right direction and I’m excited about that.  Each of the guys brings a different dynamic and influence to the sound and it takes a lot of pressure off me to make everything happen.

Q: How would you define the sound and inspiration behind your music?
A: Drug-dealin’ music (he laughs).  But that’s a tough question because everyone has different ideas about sound.  I’d say it’s raw and honest, and heavy and pretty.  I try to make a sound that invokes a feeling and a rhythm that invokes a movement.  I guess my biggest influences are artists and bands that have those blends.  My music is inspired by the experiences that make me write in the first place; the things I find worth and feeling in.

Q: What is the process like when you’re writing and creating new songs?
A: Each song comes together differently.  Some are in the works for months or so, and others have come together in less than an hour.  I’m really critical of myself, especially lyrically, so that’s usually why a song will take awhile.  But I tend to get a chord progression or melody, then let it sit for awhile and come back to it, then build from there.  I also [have the] whole production in mind, including each instrument and its dynamics, so I have to be patient about letting those things grow into a reality.

Q: Best show to date?
A: Another tough question.  I’ll give you two:  I played Tremont in Charlotte towards the beginning of summer and it was definitely one of the best sets we’ve played as a band.  Then Snug Harbor, also in Charlotte, later this summer, and that one was with some of our best friends.  That show was wild.  And the truth is almost every time I’ve played in Boone, it’s been a really good time.

[pagebreak]

Q: Any pre or post-show rituals that you’ve developed now that you perform regularly?
A: 500 pushups and 500 sit-ups.  No, not really.  I guess a pre-show ritual would be singing along to something good vocally, like Justin Timberlake.  He gets it.

Q: What is your fan base like?
A: Mostly friends, but it’s grown since I started playing a lot more.  A lot of students and friends-of-friends have been adding to the support.

Q: What has been the most challenging thing about pursuing this type of path?
A: Depending on both people and myself to follow through.  It’s definitely true that I set my own limits and that I have to break my self-criticisms [majority] of the time.  It’s also difficult to rely on other people to help make things happen because they’re not always on the same page as me or holding the same sense of urgency.

Q: Any advice you’d give to students who are also pursuing musical endeavors?
A: See the question above.  Music is very personal to you, but it’s also relative because it’s heavily influential in every person’s life, to some extent.  So be honest; you have nothing to lose that way.  And if you’re serious about it, actually pursue it. No one is going to make things happen for you.

Q: What are some things that people might not already know about you? Like do you have any unique habits or talents?
A: I played football up here my freshman year, and won a national championship.  My other passion is the human body (or mostly my own), so I care a lot about nutrition and exercise.

Q: What is your favorite thing about ASU now that you’ve been here for so long?
A: Everyone has something to offer if he is willing to lower his guard. And the people I’ve grown with over my time here have been where I’ve found the most worth.

Q: What’s next for Tyler Brown?
A: Trying to get that degree and finish what I started.  But I’m definitely planning on seeing what I can do with music, so I’ll be taking the right steps and pushing that once I’m done with school.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!