Meet Sammy Cunningham: ASE Peer Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Sammy Cunningham
Age: 21
Major: English Education
Hometown: Boise, Idaho

Q: What is the Alternative Service Experience program about?
A: “ASE immerses students in a service experience in local domestic and international communities, and are lead and created by trained student peer leaders. ASE is for students to use their time during breaks to create deeper connections between their classroom work and the communities of the world.” 

Q: What made you first want to get involved with ASE at Appalachian?
A: My freshman year, I heard about it and went on an exotic feline rescue center trip. Because I thought it would be the only chance I’d get to work with tigers and lions. The felines were rescues from crazy places like meth labs and abandoned circuses. We made the enclosures for the abused, unwanted, and neglected big cats.

Q: How different is it to be a leader of an ASE trip versus just a participant?
A: You become a lot more involved. Every other Monday we have class with all of the other peer leaders where we discuss different social issues. We talk about how we can immerse our peers who are going on the trips to the communities and help them connect during the experience. We make sure that everyone gets something out of the trip.

Q: Tell me about the trip you’re leading this year.
A: This year I am going to St. John in the US Virgin Islands. It’s a trip oriented around nature conservation and we’re working with the Friends of the Virgin Islands National Park to preserve the history of the island such as cleaning and maintaining the trails that go around the sugar mills. We’re working with a non profit organization which is dedicated to the preservation and protection of the natural and cultural resources of Virgin Islands National Park (which is 60% of the island). We’re also going camping and snorkeling everyday!

Q: What tips would you give to students who want to go on an ASE trip?
A: Be very open-minded and don’t hesitate to sign up. The only thing you’ll regret is not signing up. Although it’s cheesy, it’s a life changing experience and I wouldn’t be the same person without these experiences.

Q: How have the ASE trips impacted you as an individual?
A: They’ve made me much more service oriented and I’ve gotten a lot more involved with A.C.T. (Appalachian and the Community Together). I care a lot more about social issues that I was completely unaware of before I came to Appalachian and found ASE. It’s been a humbling and eye-opening experience.

Q: What else are you involved with on campus?
A: I am a sister of Chi Omega, and I’m trying to get more involved with LIPS. I’m also a Dance Captain for Dance Marathon, which raises money for two local non-profit organizations that benefit Watauga County youth.

Alla Hill

App State

Alla Hill is a Junior at Appalachian State University working towards a degreee in Nutrition and Foods with a concentration in Dietetics. She is originally from Greenville, SC but loves being able to call the High Country home for now! Alla's interests include creative writing, hiking, shoe shopping, cooking with friends, collecting bumper stickers, and tumblr blogging.