Meet Laura Maddox: Founder of HC App State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Laura Maddox
Class: May 2013
Major: Advertising with a Creative Writing minor
Hometown: Charlotte

Q: After graduating in May, where are you now?

A: After graduation I took a month off, relaxed, visited St. Thomas, hung out with my family, and then I moved to Boston on May 31st. My job at Digitas started on June 10th, so I’ve been there for about 4 months. It’s been an awesome experience so far! 

Q: How have you adjusted to the “real world”?

A: The “real world” is definitely a big adjustment from school, but it’s been a surprisingly smooth transition! The hardest part has been learning how to manage my money, pay bills, and find a balance between work and social life.  I’m about 5 months in and I feel like I’m finally getting the hang of things! I definitely miss being able to skip class though. You can’t skip work in the “real world!”

Q: How has your work with Her Campus helped you achieve and maintain your career?

A: Her Campus helped me achieve my career goals in a lot of ways! Starting something from the ground up takes a lot of work, and I kind of felt like HC App State was my own little legacy that I could leave at ASU. It helped me learn how to be a leader, how to work with others, how to deal with disagreements, etc. HC App State gave me a chance to hone my writing skills, it introduced me to a lot of amazing people, and it definitely boosted my resume. At times it would seem like a burden to have something to work on every single day, but now that I look back on it, it’s more similar to a real job than schoolwork ever was. I’m definitely proud of it and thankful for the experiences HC App State gave me!

Q: Describe your position at Digitas:

A: At Digitas I carry the title of “Associate Copywriter.” This is the entry-level copywriting position, and then from there you can get promoted to Copywriter, Senior Copywriter, Creative Director etc.

I majored in Advertising at App with a minor in Creative Writing and after interning at Digitas, I knew that Advertising was the perfect way to merge my interests. It’s kind of a combination of graphic design, PR, poetry, event planning, and writing.

I work in a fast-paced environment, and get a new assignment almost every day. Right now I’m working on Tide, Downy, and Gain. I’ve gotten the chance to do billboards for July 4th, write reactive billboard lines for Tide NFL, assist in ads printed in the Washington Post, and lots of other assignments! Sometimes I’m still shocked by how amazing my job is. I get paid for this? It’s not real life!  It really is great.

Q: What is the biggest difference between Boone and Boston?

A: As different as Boone and Boston are, Northern vs. Southern, mountains vs. cityscape, etc, they actually have some unexpected similarities that I love! There is definitely a similar sense of community and town/city pride in both areas. I love that I can drive (a little further than in Boone) to the mountains and see the leaves change, drink apple cider, and enjoy nature.  It’s like I’m back in Valle Crucis or on the Parkway!

I’m also obsessed with the local food here, which was one of my favorite parts of Boone! And Boston also has it’s own hippie, artsy, outdoors vibe like good ole ASU. Yes, I’ve seen some Chacos! Not to mention the people. Everyone here has been so welcoming and I’ve made a lot of new friends and memories that I wouldn’t trade for anything!

Q: What is your favorite part about post-grad life?

A: I’ve said this many times to my family, but I always knew that these were the years I’d like best! The freedom, the excitement of my first real job, exploring my own city, meeting so many amazing people, it’s always what I’ve wanted to do! I love the fact that most people in Boston aren’t from here, and yet we’re united in the fact that we’re taking on this city together. I’ve never been happier! I feel extremely blessed.

Q: What is the worst part about post-grad life?

A: Even though I love life right now, some post-grad stuff can be a harsh reality! Moving 17 hours up the coast was a hassle, and then I moved again over Labor Day weekend! Becoming a “Masshole” and getting a new license plate has been a pain. Paying bills isn’t fun, and the reality of how expensive it is to just live really sets in. But I’m not worried, God’s got it all under control!

Q: If you could give any piece of advice to the current seniors, what would it be?

A: My advice would be to savor every second at App! Work hard, discover what you’re passionate about, and become friends with people that’ll push you toward achieving your dreams. Make connections, be humble, enjoy the mountain air and having 10-minute access to the Parkway. Don’t get sucked into petty drama or temporary problems. Choose your friends wisely, invest time into internships and building your resume. Drink Espresso News and eat at Melanie’s, Coyote Kitchen, Black Cat and ODB as much as possible.  Go out, do stuff that’s local to Boonetown and just have fun! Once you graduate, that’s the rest of your life. Live it up, and, as always, GO ‘NEERS! 

Senior Marketing and Management major at App State.