Meet Lanie Crawford: Owner of ASU Like It Monogramming and Sorority Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

This week’s celeb is not only a full time student at Appalachian, but also the owner of ASU Like It Monorgramming and Sorority Wear, providing custom monogramming and Greek lettering on a variety of products. Read all about how this talented collegiette balances school and work “seam-lessly”!

Name: Lanie Crawford

Major: Apparel Design and Merchandising

Minor: Marketing and Economics

Year: Junior

Hometown: Vanceboro, NC

Q:  What inspired you to undertake this business?A:  It honestly just happened. I was monogramming for a few friends who told their friends, who told their friends, and before I knew it I needed a site to manage orders.

Q:  How can people purchase?A:  We take orders by email and on our website, www.asulikeitmonogramming.com.

Q:  What’s the price range?A:  $10-$40.

Q:  How can people find you online/on social media?A:  We have Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, all of which are ASU Like It Monogramming. We also have a website, www.asulikeitmonogramming.com.

Q:  What’s the best part of your job?A:  I love working for myself. I set my own hours and don’t have to do anything I don’t want to do.

Q:  What is the worst/most challenging part or thing about starting a business?A:  Time management! Sometimes you have to pass up going out to stay home and work on spreadsheets or orders.

Q:  How has it been balancing a job with school work?A:  Stressful but worth it. It’s a nice break from school but there are times I just want to sleep after a long night at the library and have to force myself to monogram.

Q:  Tell me how your business has grown from day 1:A:  We started with just a Facebook and took orders from there. When we outgrew that we got a website and we now have Instagram and twitter. Our products have expanded a lot from the original tee shirts also. It’s been fun to watch it expand.

Q:  What are some of your long term and short term goals?A:  Short term, I hope to keep ASU Like It going throughout my college career. I hope to expand into jewelry and possible clothing. My long term dream is to own my own boutique, so this is a great jumping off point.

Q:  What has the response to your business been like?A:  Great! Appalachian has lots of people that love monograms and letters so they have definitely been receptive.

Q:  What advice would you give other students interested in starting up a business?A:  Know your market and be prepared for sleepless nights and hard work. It doesn’t happen overnight.

Q:  What are your goals after graduation?A:  After graduation I want to move to a larger city and open my own high-end women’s boutique.

I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!