Meet Emily Bishop: The 2013-2014 President of HC App State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Emily Bishop

Major: Marketing and Management with a concentration in Entrepreneurship

Hometown: Cary, NC

Leadership Position: Campus Correspondent for HC App State

Q. How did you get involved with Her Campus?

A. I saw something on Facebook about Appalachian starting a Her Campus branch.  I had never heard of it before so I decided to look up the website.  At the time, I was hoping to major in journalism so I thought this would be a great opportunity for me.  I had also just transferred to App from N.C. State so I saw this as a chance to meet other Appalachian students.  I was thrilled when I was accepted as a writer two years ago.

Q. What are your duties?

A. My major duties include editing and publishing articles submitted by staff writers, uploading campus events and polls, managing the team, and communicating with HC national contacts to ensure our chapter is on track.

Q. When and how did you find out that you were going to be president for the 2013-14 year?

A. I was nominated by Laura in early April and after that I was contacted by the HC Manager of Campus Development.  I then completed an edit test to confirm that I was ready for this position.  I was notified only a few weeks ago that I would be the new HC App State campus correspondent for the coming year. Wahoo!

Q. What do you want to accomplish with HC this year? 

A.  Laura has set the bar high, so the most important thing for me is keeping our branch at that level.  I hope to have a close-knit team that not only meets our goals, but has fun in the process. 

Q. What is your favorite part of being in Her Campus Appalachian State? 

A. Only one??  Her Campus has been such a blessing for me the past two years and I am ecstatic to take over next year.  Being a part of HC App State has improved my writing skills immensely while allowing me to build lasting friendships.

Q. What do you love most about Appalachian? 

A. Hands down, the friendliness of everyone here in the Appalachian community!  After transferring from N.C. State, I feel that I truly have found a home here at ASU.  I have fallen in love with these mountains and I could not imagine being anywhere else.

Q. Hobbies/Interests? 

A. When I am not at school or working at Peppers, you can find me attached to my dog!  My yellow lab, Sam, and I love to go on outdoor adventures around town.