Meet Breanna George & Charlie Wagster: Presidents of Delta Zeta & Delta Tau Delta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Contributing writer: Katy Huis

Charlie Wagster: Senior, Political Science/Pre Law major.
Breanna George: Senior, Management major with a concentration in Human Resources/ and a minor in Psychology.

Q: What do you do as president of your association?

Breanna: As President of Delta Zeta, I serve as a resource to chapter members and officers, as well as oversee the status of the chapter. I enforce and and support compliance with all regulations of all university, chapter, and sorority. I collaborate closely with members, chapter officers, advisers, and those at a national level regularly. Most importantly, I serve as a campus leader and must represent Delta Zeta in the highest manner to maintain positive relations with other chapter Presidents and the Greek office.

Charlie: As president I am the liaison between the university, the national office, and my organization. I oversee an executive board of 10 members as well as oversee chapter operations and set long term goals for our chapter.

Q: Does dating a fellow president help you in your position?

Breanna: Dating a President of another Greek organization definitely has its benefits.  Not only do we both deal with similar responsibilities, but we both have a general understanding of what the other is going through or how the other is feeling.  I’ve explained it this way before.  When I call my mother (non-affiliated) to tell her the latest news I have to explain every little detail and an entire background to simply give her a general understanding. However, Charlie just gets it! More times than not, he understands the entirety right away.

Charlie: Dating a fellow president does not necessarily help me in my position. However, It is nice to have someone to go to that understands your frustrations. We are both really passionate about our organizations- it’s definitely a shared interest and frequent topic of conversation between us.

Q: What issues do you have to deal with as presidents of your organizations?

Breanna: An overlying issue the chapter President deals with during her term is being the main contact for any issue and being liable for just about everything.  Not only do we deal with internal issues, but we deal with it at the Appalachian, Regional, and National level.  We must mind our Ps and Qs at all times ensure that the chapter is complying with all standards and hold members accountable for their actions.

Charlie: As President, you oversee essentially everything. Some of the Primary issues are addressing the conduct of members and also making sure that you keep up with the Standards of Excellence Packet provided by the University. Another main priority is goal setting and holding members accountable in order to reach that goal.

Q: How do you/your organization work to defy negative Greek stereotypes?

Breanna: It is important to realize that changing these stereotypes is a challenge that we cannot change with words alone.  It is our responsibility to promote the wonderful things our organizations do for Appalachian State University and the community.  Delta Zeta starts by doing our part and encouraging chapter members to represent Greek life in the highest manner, providing community service opportunities, and spreading the word when we do great things for the community.  We also do our best to maintain positive relations and support other organizations and their endeavors to greaten the impact our Greek community can have.

Charlie: Our organization and its members are driven by our values. I hope that most people see us strengthening our community. This year we have volunteered for Appolcorps, Freshmen Move in Day, High school orientation and the Black Saturday 5K. We also focus highly on academic achievement and as a chapter had over a 3.0 last year- above the all men’s campus average. Our philanthropy  “Sharp Dressed Man” will take place this December where we hope to surpass what we raised there last year almost $2,500 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. It’s an uphill battle. Regardless of how hard you work to defy stereotypes ultimately people are going to think the way that they want to. Hopefully they see the good our organizations bring to campus.

Q: What do you plan to do upon graduation?

Breanna: Upon graduation, I hope to relocate and work for a company that fosters growth opportunities where I can work my way up the ladder.  After a few years of experience, I plan to get my Master’s degree.

Charlie: After graduation I plan to work for our national office as a Chapter consultant and afterwards pursue law school. 

Senior Marketing and Management major at App State.