Meet Alex Lewis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Contributing Writer: Kendall Smith

Meet Alex Lewis, a Junior here at Appalachian State and the Production Chair for Relay Executive Team!

Q: How did you decide to get involved with relay for life?A: When my family became a part of the cancer statistic I was already here at App. It was hard being two states away and I needed to find a productive way to battle cancer and show my dad some support. So I decided to join Relay for Life and connect with people who have also seen too much of this disease. It’s been an amazing experience with many memorable Relays – from a drowning Duck Pond to a sunrise in the stadium.  

Q: What other organizations are you involved in?A: Sigma Kappa and AppSpeaks are the two other organizations I’m involved in on campus. I’m busy but I’ve surrounded myself with some truly great people at this university.

Q: What is your major?A: I’m majoring in Communication Studies with a General Business minor

Q: How does Relay for Life work?A: For every dollar donated to Relay, 72¢ goes to program services, which are for patient support, research, prevention, and detection & treatment. The leftover 28¢ goes to the supporting services which make Relay possible – 21¢ goes to fundraising while 7¢ goes to management. With over 4 million people taking part in and around 5,000 communities across the US, Relay has raised nearly $5 billion to date. App State is just a small part of this huge cause but we’ve made a difference in so many lives!

Q: What is your favorite part of Relay for Life?A: I love how this one night brings together people who need to know that they’re not in this fight alone. We watch people come together to walk around the track, honor those who have lost the battle, hear caregivers’ stories, and rally around those who have given so much up to fight cancer. I hate that cancer is what we have in common but a lot of good comes from building these relationships and treasuring those who have fought for a cure before us. 

Q: Who is your role model?A: Julia Roberts

Senior Marketing and Management major at App State.