Making the Transition from Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Transitioning from summer to fall can be tricky for all of us. Fortunately we have some tips to ease the transition from all things ranging from food, fashion, movies and music!

Food.

We all know that the fall season is a special time for food. While we are still getting in the swing of transitioning from summer treats like ice cream and watermelon slices, to dreaming of tasting hot apple cider in a pumpkin patch, our beloved autumn is quickly arriving. Luckily for you, I have a few tips and tricks to making the fall foodie’s dreams a reality. The first tip is to incorporate squash into your diet. Butternut squash soup is perfect for warming you up on a crisp fall day and baking acorn squash with a hint of brown sugar and butter can instantly brighten any day. Not to mention, according to Medical News Today, one cup of butternut squash can provide plenty of Vitamin A, as well as Vitamin C and it contains more potassium than a single banana. Acorn squash also has plenty of health benefits and it’s said that it can even help to boost your immune system – something that is probably desperately needed this time of year on a college campus.

My next tip is to drink a decadent amount of hot chocolate, hot apple cider, hot coffee and hot tea. Although these might not have the added health benefits of squash, can you really say you’ve experienced fall without them? Furthermore, be sure to trade in your cold breakfast for a glorious warm donut. Trust me on this one, nothing screams fall like a pumpkin flavored donut. If you’re in the Boone area, it would be wise of you to stop by The Local Lion, a favorite among coffee and donut lovers alike. Treating yourself to autumnal sweets is nothing to feel guilty of though. Which is why you should also make sure to switch out your apple pie baking skills for making caramel apples. The list of fall foods that are necessary to try could go on forever, so do yourself a favor and get cooking!

Fashion.

Figuring out how to dress appropriately for the weather in Boone is hard. It’s even harder when the seasons begin to change from summer to fall and it’s a chilly 40 degrees in the morning and by mid-day it’s 70 degrees. Earlier this week I left my house wearing a scarf and by lunch time, it was in my book bag and my sleeves were rolled up. Please do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake – layer your clothes. I would recommend closed toe shoes, long pants, a tank top or short sleeved shirt and a cardigan or light jacket. That way, if it gets too toasty, whether that’s due to over heated classrooms or the bright sun at noon, you can simply cool off by removing your cardigan.

To transition your summer dresses into fall, adding a jacket, tights, or leggings can easily do the trick. Another way to transform your wardrobe from summer to fall is to make sure you are keeping the clothes in your closet that have warmer tones. This way you can put away all of your pieces that make you look like you just stepped off of a tropical island. If you plan to go shopping and update your wardrobe it would be good to know that according to the fashion mecca of print, Vogue home-interior-looking prints, floor length coats, and fur will all be trending this season.

Movies.

Sometimes it seems as though nothing could be better on a chilly day than treating yourself to a movie. A few of the most anticipated movies for fall 2015 that I’m looking forward to are Black Mass, a movie about the infamous Irish Mob, Room, a film adaption of the enticing novel, and of course The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2. Also, be sure to be on the lookout for the upcoming film Macbeth. While it doesn’t come to theatres until December, it’s still something to look forward to!

Music.

Although dancing to the Top 40 songs on the radio is always a good idea, I find that I like to switch up the music I listen to as the seasons change (is that weird?). There is just something magical about listening to Ella Fitzgerald on a cold autumn day. While everyone’s taste in music varies, here are some vastly different, yet very talented artists I like to enjoy this time of year:

1.     Ella Fitzgerald

2.     James Bay

3.     Birdy

4.     Bon Iver

5.     José González

6.     Florence and The Machine

7.     James Vincent McMorrow

8.     Louis Armstrong

Finally, know that how ever you choose to experience fall is the absolute best way to experience it because that’s what makes this beautiful season special to you.