Life Hacks: Saving Money in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The average college student is usually strapped for cash to pay for things like new shoes for the winter, movies on Friday night, a casual dinner out, and even school supplies and textbooks. The environment in which we live forces us to get creative with our money and develop ways to cut corners on things we don’t actually need. Although it’s hard to pass up a hot latte on Monday morning or Cookout on Saturday night, doing so could really help you out in the long run. Here’s my list of life hacks to saving money in college!

Food:

If you live on campus and have a meal plan, most of your meals are covered. Obviously depending on which plan you have, you could theoretically make it the whole semester without having to drop a dime on food outside of Central, Cascades, Trivette, and McAlister’s. Realistically, this is almost impossible. Between my weekly trips to Cookout, getting dinner on King Street with friends, and the occasional Sunday brunch my bank account is always hurting at the end of the month. To save some extra cash on food expenses here’s some helpful advice.

• Avoid shopping at “The Market”

Although it is extremely tempting to grab a box of granola bars or perhaps a pint of Ben and Jerry’s from one of the markets on campus, avoid spending grocery money here at all costs. The prices are heavily inflated so that Appalachian can make a profit off of each item so you’re better off buying basic groceries at Harris Teeter or Wal-Mart.

• Host a potluck dinner with friends and roommates rather than eating at a restaurant.

This is pretty much a no brainer. Invite some girl friends over for a dinner party but suggest that each person bring a side item. Cooking with friends is always fun and meals made at home give you a sense of accomplishment and maturity. 

• Make a grocery list every week with your roommates and split the total cost.

You might have a few things in your pantry that your roommates just don’t want to eat or don’t like so obviously the cost of those will fall on you. Pick a day of the week to go grocery shopping and write up a list beforehand so you know exactly what you’re buying. Having a fridge full of food and a pantry stocked with staple items is a great feeling. Plus, knowing you have things to cook with will help you stave off the desire to order in food or go out. Pro tip: never enter the grocery store with an empty stomach or you might end up with a cart full of random food you don’t even eat.

[pagebreak]

Shopping

Telling a collegiette woman she can’t go shopping, or isn’t allowed, is essentially a death sentence. That’s why it’s so important to figure out when the best deals are happening in the store or online and seize the day. I’ve made it a rule of thumb to never go shopping without having a specific purpose, bringing a coupon, or going to a sale event.

• Put your pins to use and do DIY makeovers for apartment décor and furniture.

Everyone loves to scroll on Pinterest for hours and re-pin tons of cool DIY ideas but how often does anyone actually follow through and accomplish their crafts? Look for cool pieces of furniture and random items like crates, jars, old lamps, dressers, TV tray tables, and pottery at local thrift shops and yard sales. Some of my favorite decorations in my room at home and at school are simply transformed objects that I was able to give a second life with a couple coats of paint and Mod Podge.

• Take advantage of retail stores that offer special student discounts.

Living in Boone has its ups and downs when it comes to shopping. On one hand there are several unique boutiques on King Street and we’re in close proximity to the outlets in Blowing Rock. On the other hand, we have the Boone Mall that is essentially just a T.J. Maxx, Old Navy, and Belk. This can be a good thing when you want to go shopping but don’t have the money; you won’t feel like you’re missing out on great sales. When you need some serious retail therapy just remember that certain stores like J.Crew, Banana Republic, and Ann Taylor give out a student discount if you have a student ID.

Travel and Entertainment

Sometimes we need a quick getaway from school to visit family at home, friends at other campuses, or a day trip for a concert. When planning a trip you should consider how much you’ll be pending on transportation, admission fees for shows and exhibits, food and drinks, and lodging. Keeping a travel budget is a good way to track how much you spend when you leave town.

• Use a rideshare service or carpool on trips home.

There are several rideshare services that operate in Boone and throughout NC which make finding a ride home for a weekend fairly easy. One organization, Share the Ride NC, is a statewide ride matching system that helps connect people to save gas and promote sustainable traveling options. If you have a group of friends all going to the same place for a few days or on a trip together it only makes sense to carpool and divide the cost of gas.

• Book hotels for spring break using a travel website.

If you want to go on a spring break beach trip with friends, it’s best to plan way ahead of time where you’ll be staying and who’s making the reservations. Websites like Travelocity, Priceline, and Kayak can compare prices on hotels and even airfare to save you money. Try to keep all the event planning on your trip to a minimum and make sure the activities aren’t costly for groups of people.

Alla Hill

App State

Alla Hill is a Junior at Appalachian State University working towards a degreee in Nutrition and Foods with a concentration in Dietetics. She is originally from Greenville, SC but loves being able to call the High Country home for now! Alla's interests include creative writing, hiking, shoe shopping, cooking with friends, collecting bumper stickers, and tumblr blogging.