Let There Be Darkness: Why Daylight Savings Time is Awesome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

With daylight-savings time recently screwing up our already hectic collegiate lives,  it got me thinking about the power of an hour. 60 minutes. 3600 seconds. 1 hour.

There are both pros and cons to daylight savings time. In the summer, it’s great. Moving the clocks back an hour in the summer allows us to day drink a little longer, tan a little longer, and ride the boat once more around the lake.

But what about when it gets darker faster? Here are seven pros about moving the clock back an hour in response to winter time.

1)   Getting darker quicker means that the pregame that once started when the sun departed around 7, will now start when the sun departs around 5 or 6. The more time the better, right?

2)   When it gets dark, lets face it, the academic part of the day is pretty much over. All that is thought about on a Tuesday night is Trivia at Klondike, and now that thought process can begin at 5 instead of 7.

3)   Easier naps. The darker the better when it comes to napping. As the sun goes down, so do my eyelids.

4)   Working out is a serious issue that a lot of ladies face. When the weather is actually semi-enjoyable here in Boone, collegiettes feel the need to go run outdoors. However, since it gets darker quicker, we don’t have to feel as bad if you can’t get that run in. I mean we can’t run in the dark, right? Less daylight hours=less time to run outside. Maybe tomorrow.

5)   Thursday/Saturday night-lights. Who doesn’t love Appalachian State football lights on game day? Now that it will be getting darker earlier, we can obnoxiously cheer under them for a few more hours.

6)   Darkness equals nighttime. If it’s dark at 5, it’s nighttime. Nighttime means sweatpants, hair tied, chillin with no makeup on. End of story.

7)   Less reason to go to the library/the store/out in public in general. Aren’t we always told that it’s dangerous to walk around at night? Guess since it’s getting dark earlier we can’t go finish that group project at the library because heaven forbid I wouldn’t want to walk from that little church where I park my car to the library all by myself! Sorry group, I’m staying in my sweats. 

So, do not be discouraged my fellow collegiettes, you may find that the extra hour of darkness can be used to your advantage! 

Sources:

http://craftwhack.com/color-wheel-for-kids/

Carlin is a senior at Appalachian State University pursuing a degree in Public Relations and English. She is a Bachelor and One Tree Hill fanatic who is passionate about chocolate frosties and Chipotle. Her dream job is to be a sports reporter for ESPN.