I read 30 books this summer; here are my top five!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Reading is one of my favorite hobbies, so when summer break started, I was thriving. I had more time to focus on reading and could relax after a busy semester. In between working and my days off, I read as many books as possible. I got a Kindle for my birthday and that made it easier to borrow books from the local library. I was in such a reading slump after finishing the “Throne of Glass” series by Sarah J. Maas this past winter. So, I was excited to get started on my “To Be Read” list after the spring semester ended. My favorite book genres are fantasy, thrillers, mysteries, and romance. 

I’ve read 42 books so far this year, and I’m still counting. Here are my top five favorite books from this summer! 

1. “Fourth Wing” by Rebecca Yarros Rate: 5/5 Stars

“Fourth Wing” was my absolute favorite book of the summer and of the year so far. This book is about Violet Sorrengail who has trained her whole life to be a scribe at the Basgiath War College. She is forced by her mother and General Lilith Sorrengail to join the dragon riders quadrant instead. Violet navigates between her old life of being a scribe and her new life at the dragon training camp. The story follows her struggles at the training camp and trying to stay alive. Also, the book features an enemies-to-lovers trope. 

If you liked the “A Court of Thorns and Roses” series you would love this series. The second book comes out this November! 

1. “The Housemaid” by Freida McFadden Rate: 5/5 Stars

This book is the one that got me out of my reading slump after spring semester ended. It is a fast-paced psychological thriller that keeps you on your toes. I finished this book in one night. “The Housemaid” is about Millie Calloway becoming a maid for a rich family that has their own dark secrets. 

1. “The Perfect Marriage” by Jeneva Rose Rate: 4/5 Stars

“The Perfect Marriage” is another great crime thriller. This book is about Sarah Morgan who is a defense attorney. She has to defend her husband in a murder case, but the person who was murdered was her husband’s mistress! This book takes you through Sarah’s journey to find out if her husband really killed his mistress. The plot twists are crazy in this book.

1. “Weyward” by Emilia Hart Rate: 4/5 Stars

“Weyward” gives me cottage-core vibes. This book follows three women from over five centuries. Kate’s story takes place in 2019, and she is escaping from an abusive relationship to the Weyward cottage. Altha’s story is set in 1619, and she is on trial for witchcraft. Set in 1942, Violet is trying to discover who she is and the secrets about her family while dealing with her controlling father. All of these ladies are connected because of the Weyward cottage, which gives them safety and solitude. They have a special connection with nature and insects that run in the Weyward family. 

1. “The Stolen Heir” by Holly Black Rate: 4/5 Stars

“The Stolen Heir” is a continuation of Holly Black’s “The Folk of Air” series. “The Stolen Heir” takes place eight years after “The Folk of Air” series. This book follows Suren, who is the queen of the Court of Teeth, and Oak, who is a prince and heir to Elfhame. They are on a quest to stop Lady Nore from taking over the Court of Teeth. This friends-to-lovers trope could lead to some betrayal throughout their journey.

Emily Page

App State '23

Emily is a Senior at App State. Her major is Communication Studies and her minor is General Business. She enjoys reading, hiking, and listening to music. She is also a Taurus!