How to Tap Into Your Creative Side

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Don’t let the dreary weather of the changing seasons get you down this winter, collegiettes! Everyone has a creative side, whether they utilizie it or not. Becoming a more thoughtful and creative person could give you the edge you need to spark a new love interest, find your passion, or excel in your next job interview. My tips for tapping into your creative side aren’t the only things you can try to to stimulate a change in your life. Find out what works best for you and run with it!

Listen to new music.

Too often we get stuck listening to whatever top 40 songs are playing on the radio and neglect our own personal taste in music. If you’re feeling like all you ever hear is the same auto-tuned and synthesized pop music it might be time for a change of pace. Try checking out a new artist or genre you’ve never heard of before! Streaming internet radio like Pandora and Spotify can introduce you to new songs you might have never heard. Listening to music while you study can actually increase your productivity and help you complete tasks faster. I’ve found that listening to classical music or even movie soundtracks while working creates just enough background distraction to allow for more creative thoughts to occur. In breaks between classes and while traveling to and from campus I try to give my mind time to relax by listening to music on my phone through headphones.

Carry a small journal with you everywhere.

Writers and journalists are known to carry pocket-sized journals that can fit compactly in their bags and are easily accessible when needed. Taking a tip from some of the most creative individuals is not a bad idea. The journal should ideally be kept somewhere you can reach for it quickly and jot down a sudden thought. Simply going about my day I’ll have random thoughts or ideas that I want to look up later or develop in detail but have no way of recording them. Keep a small journal to doodle in, write ideas and ask questions, or make a note of something interesting in your environment and before long you’ll have tons of inspiration for your next creative project. 

Curate a commonplace book.

This tip is similar to the journal idea but takes the idea of keeping personal records to a whole new level. A commonplace book can be a notebook, sketchpad, notecard filing system, shoebox full of papers, or even a collection of sticky notes. It is not meant to be a journal necessarily but rather a compilation of new information, interesting passages from novels or poems, questions that you want to be answered, and quotes that you come across during your day-to-day life. Many famous individuals in history were known to keep personal commonplace books like Thomas Jefferson and even Bill Gates. A commonplace book is something that you have to train yourself to keep up with and only gets better as it grows with age. Whether you’re searching for ideas for a book or research project, having a commonplace book could help you out in more ways than one!

Check out this Thought Catalog article to learn more about the commonplace book.

Express yourself through art.

Whether it’s finger painting or wood carving, using your hands to create a tangible expression of your thoughts and ideas is not only therapeutic but it is a great way to showcase your artistic talents. You don’t have to be the next Andy Warhol to enjoy painting so let the pressure to create a perfect piece go and get started on something that you can be proud of. The Turchin Center for the Visual Arts hosts “Tuesdays at Turchin” which is a free painting class for Appalachian students to attend and learn a new skill from a professional artist. The classes don’t require that you have experience in painting either so don’t worry about having less than stellar painting skills to attend.

Try new food!

It’s easy to get stuck in a rut of eating the same simple meals every week and as a college student, who could blame you? We search for meals that are easy to make, low cost, and have a quick cook time but we shouldn’t cut ourselves short on the flavor and taste of the food we eat. Trying new food is always exciting and for me that would look like a Japanese Sushi Roll or perhaps Indian style Tandoori Chicken. If you live with roommates you could do one night a week where everyone contributes a dish that no one has tried before to share for the meal. Or if you’re the type of person to go out to eat locally, try a new restaurant the next time that you do! Stay away from ordering the same basic items on the menu every time and branch out to try something new.

Alla Hill

App State

Alla Hill is a Junior at Appalachian State University working towards a degreee in Nutrition and Foods with a concentration in Dietetics. She is originally from Greenville, SC but loves being able to call the High Country home for now! Alla's interests include creative writing, hiking, shoe shopping, cooking with friends, collecting bumper stickers, and tumblr blogging.