How to Fight Off the February Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

February: the last stretch of winter, yet not quite spring. It’s the heart of the semester, the time that some people (myself included) find themselves in what I refer to as a “February Funk.” You find yourself in a “blah” mood; not overly happy but also not upset about anything in particular. Maybe it’s due to the lack of blue skies Boone has to offer this time of year. Maybe it has to do with the early wake up calls for your 8 AM, or all the exams that simultaneously get thrown at you in all your classes. You’re craving something new, something to look forward to, or even just a little pick-me-up! I can’t give you sunny, sixty-degree weather (trust me, I wish I could!), but I can give you a few uplifting suggestions that will make this last stretch of winter more enjoyable!

• Hit the gym.

Whenever I heard the expression “you’re only one workout away from a good mood,” I would just roll my eyes. It usually came from those girls who run ten miles everyday (more power to you, ladies) and I thought that expression only applied to intense runners. I was very wrong. I came to realize that even a thirty-minute workout could turn your dull day right around! When we exercise, our brain releases endorphins, which help alleviate stress. Try and set aside at least thirty minutes in your daily schedule for some “you” time at the gym. Don’t do it to lose weight, you are fabulous the way you are. Do it because exercise will improve your mental health while giving you an extra boost of energy to make your day even better!

• Listen to Beyoncé.

Seriously. Queen B’s vocals will make you feel empowered and ready to take on your day. As if her Grammy performance wasn’t enough to convince you to listen to her music, then hopefully I can. If you’re not feeling very confident one day, listen to “Who Run the World (Girls).” If you’re going through a break up, listen to “Irreplaceable” or “Best Thing I Never Had.” Both songs will make you realize that the boy who hurt you is an idiot, anyways. If you just need a reminder of how awesome you are, listen to “***Flawless” or “Diva.” These are only a few of her incredible songs that will get you out of your funk. When it comes to Beyoncé, you really can’t go wrong.[pagebreak]

• Make lists.

This seems like a simple thing to do, but making “to-do” lists is a perfect way to visually see everything you need to get done. Our minds often make simple things we need to get done seem very large and overwhelming. When you wake up in the morning, grab a cup of coffee and write out everything you need to get done that day. Completing each task step-by-step will keep you busy and crossing them off of your list will give you a feeling of accomplishment. This is also a great way to avoid procrastination, something we have all fallen victim to!

• Give yourself something to look forward to.

Whether it’s spring break plans, an exciting internship over the summer, or plans on Friday night, be proactive and make plans for something that you know you will get excited about. Apply for that dream internship you’ve always wanted. Call up your girls and see if they want to take a road trip to Wilmington next weekend. Just plan something for the future. Download the app “T-Zero” for your phone. This app allows you to see how long you have until you reach that exciting day, down to the days, hours, minutes, and seconds.

• Do something spontaneous.

You don’t have to do anything drastic or irresponsible (in fact, I advise against that). Do something, anything, that will mix up your daily routine. I understand some days are filled with deadlines, responsibilities, and obligations. So, on the days you have some free time, don’t just watch sitcom reruns on the couch all day! Take a drive on the parkway. Go to that yoga class you’ve always wanted to try out. Treat yourself to a manicure. If you find yourself just going through the motions everyday, then spice it up with something unplanned and fun!