How To Create New Outfits On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Feel like you don’t have anything to wear? Don’t spend your savings just yet! Whether you borrow your roomie’s skirt or buy some new bling, there are plenty of ways to get excited over your clothes again without spending a fortune.

Host a clothing swap.

Clothing swaps are a great way to get rid of clothing you no longer wear in exchange for new items. Invite a group of girls of all shapes and sizes over, and ask them to bring 5-10 articles of clothing they want to part with. Purses, scarves, jewelry, and other accessories are other great items to bring because they are more likely to work on a number of people. Draw numbers and take turns selecting items until all of the wanted items are gone, and then donate the rest to charity. After it’s over you could end up with a whole pile of “new” items you will love!

Go thrifting or visit a consignment store.

I understand why some people think secondhand shopping is gross, but those same people are missing out on some great deals. My closet is full of name brands, but I have never spent more than five dollars on any of it. I once found a Free People dress for four dollars and a 3.1 Phillip Lim blouse for three! If the idea of it really grosses you out, try going to an upscale resale or consignment store. The clothes are usually prewashed, and the stores are more organized.

Other tips for thrifting:

• Find out when their discount days are. The Salvation Army store I go to has half price clothing on Saturdays.
  • Wear clothing that is easy to take on and off. A pair of leggings, slip on shoes, and a tee shirt are ideal when the dressing room line is making you feel rushed.
  • Ask when they put out new merchandise. If they only do it once a week, go on that day to ensure the racks aren’t picked over.
  • Have a plan. Thrift stores can be overwhelming so figure out what you’re looking for before you get there. If you need a winter sweater just focus on those racks. Likewise, if you have a lot of time to kill, don’t discount other areas that may not be so obvious. I know a petite woman that looks for blazers in the boys department.

Breathe new life into old clothes by adding accessories.

You don’t have to get new clothing to change up your look. Wearing a statement necklace or a colorful scarf adds a lot to an outfit and brings attention to your face. Another good addition is a skinny belt. You can belt a cardigan to give you more of an hourglass figure, or to add a pop of color to a neutral outfit. Patterned tights can also add some interest to your old outfits. If you gravitate more toward jewelry, focus on how to incorporate new items with existing clothing in your closet. You can find jewelry for cheap at estate sales, eBay auctions, or even some department stores. Many have massive clearance sections. If you don’t have enough money to buy more, consider wearing it in a new way. Stacking bracelets can evoke a lot of different styles depending which items you put together. You can also bobby pin a brooch into your updo or wear a necklace as a headband for a unique look.

These are all inexpensive ways to put a new twist on your wardrobe without breaking the bank.  As collegiettes on a college budget, these simple tricks will have everyone fooled.

I am a Junior at App majoring in Apparel Design and Merchandising. I love dresses, thrifting, playing soccer, reading magazines, celebrity closets, bubble baths, mom & pop restaurants, and giving relationship advice. I hate waking up early, band aids, Dr. Phil, and men with big muscles.