How Being a Christian Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I started going to church when I was fifteen and through church I became a better person, and I just wanted to share my story.

Church never meant anything to me growing up. It was something other people did on Sundays. My mother hadn’t been to church in years, so we never went, not even for Christmas or Easter. I didn’t even know what Christmas or Easter really meant until I was almost a teenager. 

(My youth group at Centrifuge in Greenville SC in 2014)

We tried a lot of churches, but none ever seemed quite right. We spent months looking before we found The Church. On the last Sunday morning of Feburary 2013, we went to a church my friend had invited me to. On my first Sunday morning there, I knew that it was my church. I don’t really know how to explain it except for I felt that I fit in and really had a place that I belonged. I consider myself very lucky to have found such a good church. 

(My youth group at Camp Caraway in NC in 2013)

Becoming a Christian has changed me. Being a Christian has inspired me to be a better person. If I had never found God, I would not have an interview this week to be on the academic integrity board. If I had never found God, I would not have pulled up my grades in my sophomore year of high school and I would not have had the drive to keep them up enough to get into Appalachian State. Finding God has changed everything about my life; who I hang out with, what music I listen to, where I go, how I treat people, every aspect of my life has been changed. 

(My youth group at camp caraway in 2014)

Sydney Sharpstene is a freshman at App State. She is a Secondary English Education Major and plans to be a high school english teacher when she graduates. Sydney is from Greensboro NC and likes to swim, slack line and sing in her free time.