Got Service? 10 Great Ways to Get Involved in Your Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Whether you want to be more involved in the community or you are rushing to meet service hour deadlines for your organization, the High Country is filled with opportunities to give back.  No one can dispute how rewarding it is to help build up the community you live in and make a difference in someone else’s life!

You can surf non-profit websites online for hours, but if you are in a hurry to get involved, there are plenty of organizations close by that have flexible scheduling. Whatever you’re passionate about, there is most likely an organization looking for volunteer support. 

Here is a quick round up of some great organizations close to campus looking for a little help!

Helping children.

If you are interested in working with kids, there are plenty of opportunities to make an impact.  The Western Youth Network is a local prevention and community education program known for their mentoring and after school programs that give kids a safe place to go and get homework help.  You can help by tutoring and mentoring youth or you can lend a hand with administrative activities like working in the office planning events and answering phones.  

The Children’s Playhouse  is an agency that seeks to enrich people’s lives through art and play. As a volunteer you get to interact with families and you can also help prepare art projects and babysit for parents night out events. 

Working with special needs students.

If you’re interested in working with those with intellectual disabilities, university-sponsored organizaton Scholars with Diverse Abilities may be the perfect match for you! Through this program, students with intellectual disabilities attend Appalachian for two years to obtain a diploma.  Because the program is all inclusive, volunteers called “appvocates” are needed to accompany the student to classes, dinner, social events, football games, and tutoring.  This program may require some  training, but your commitment can vary from helping a few times a month to routine volunteering every week. 

Advocating for animals.

The Watauga County Humane Society is always a popular way to get involved if you love working with animals! Their mission is to humanely protect and provide for lost or injured dogs and cats and overall reduce the amount of unwanted animals. Volunteers can care for the cats and dogs, hike with dogs, educate the community, or help maintain the facility.

Horse Helpers of the High Country is a nearby farm that rescues abused, neglected, or abandoned horses, provides them with care, and eventually places them in a loving home. Volunteers are needed to help with barn chores like cleaning stalls, grooming, and feeding the animals, and also with fundraising and community events. 

Combating hunger and homelessness.

The Hospitality House provides shelter and services for the homeless and is also the home of the Bread of Life community soup kitchen. Volunteer opportunities are endless from preparing and serving meals, working in the community garden, hosting children’s events, or working the front desk. 

F.A.R. M.  Café is a “pay what you can” restaurant in downtown Boone devoted to building a healthy and inclusive community. Volunteers can greet customers, serve tables, prep food, wash dishes, and also help with administrative tasks.

Habitat for Humanity Watauga County’s mission is to provide affordable, safe housing for residents of the High Country.  The most common way to help is to work at a job site, but if swinging a hammer isn’t for you, you can still join their community and bring your own unique skills to the table or you can volunteer at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. The ReStore recycles new and used household items, building materials, and appliances to be used on Habitat jobsites or sold to the public. 

Visiting the elderly.

Appalachian Brian Estates is an independent living center for seniors, located just off Shadowline Drive. You can spend time with the elderly, work bingo night, assist with weekly parties, or help with crafts and other activities. 

Supporting campus sponsored ACT events.

The best way to keep up-to-date on service needs is to sign up for ACTmail or pay a visit to the campus ACT office in the student union.  ACT (Appalachian and the Community Together) is the organization responsible for major events like the Big Sale, the Gobbler 5k, and Dance Marathon.  If you are looking for a way to spend your spring or fall break, they also orchestrate local and domestic Alternative Service Experiences, with a variety of organizations across the country.  The ACT website also posts different opportunities for monthly acts of service that are open for anyone to participate.

http://www.westernyouthnetwork.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/…

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/FEaRy1oPly4/maxresdefault.jpg

http://sdap.appstate.edu/sites/sdap.appstate.edu/files/imagecache/photo-…

http://www.news.appstate.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ACT_logo.jpg

Kendall is a senior at Appalachian State studying Communication Studies and Journalism.  Though she grew up in the Queen City, she is the daughter of two former Mountaineers and has always considered Boone a second home.  She has a love for dirty chai lattes, Grey's Anatomy, red lipstick, and a future in Television News.