Life > Experiences

Five Tips to Prioritize Your Dog as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Having a dog is a big responsibility, but it can be especially hard to juggle when you’re a college student who has class, maintains a social life, and maybe even works. As a college student who does all these things, here are a few tips I do to make sure I prioritize my dog’s needs and happiness. 

1. Spend as much time as you can with them 

I like to go home and spend time with my dog in between classes and before work, as much as I can so, she’s not alone for too long. If I know I am going to be gone for a long period, I’ll ask my roommate to watch her or a friend who lives close by.

2. Take them for walks daily

As someone who lives in an apartment and doesn’t have access to a yard, I always want to make sure my dog gets the exercise she needs. Even if I only have time for a short walk, I still prioritize it because it makes her happy and gets her energy out. 

3. Take them for car rides

If your dog enjoys being in the car, take them with you whenever possible. If you need to go on a coffee run, now you have a buddy to go with you. I know my dog loves any opportunity to go for a ride, and she doesn’t care where she’s going.

4. Play with them as much as possible

Even if you don’t have a yard, you can find ways to play with your dog. I know I throw a ball around my apartment, and she goes crazy. But if you’re not comfortable with your dog running around your apartment, look for local dog parks for them to be able to run around, stretch their legs, and just be a dog. 

5. Pamper them with treats and love

Making sure your dog knows that you love them is important, not just for college student dog owners but for all dog owners. I give my dog treats after going outside to use the bathroom or when she’s being extra sweet. Awarding good behavior and showing affection is a great way to show your love. 

Julie Lord

App State '24

Hi! I'm Julie and I am a senior journalism major, minoring in photography at App State. I love writing, taking pictures and hanging out with my pup, Piper!