Fashion On the Go – Discovering the Latest Fashion in Your Free Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Between class, work, extra-curricular, and that never-ending pile of homework, it’s hard to stay caught up with what’s in style and what’s not. My favorite thing to do after a long week is to take an hour to myself and walk through the Boone Mall or the Tanger Outlets. After all, it isn’t called retail therapy for nothing. Shopping, whether you actually buy something or not, can bring the greatest feeling of serenity, not to mention there’s nothing better than a new outfit to wear on Monday morning to kick start your week. But there’s no doubt that making time for that little shopping trips can be near impossible. The good news is; we have the top three ways to avoid a fashion faux-pa without ever leaving your couch.

Subscribe:

Want to really get your fashion fix while lounging last week away? Why not use the most traditional form of media and subscribe to a fashion magazine? Nothing excites me more than going to my mailbox and finding the latest issue of In STYLE waiting for me in all its colorfully bound glory. There are tons and tons of magazines out there for every personality and, since they arrive monthly, you will be able to stay extremely up-to-date on all of the dos and don’ts of the current trends. The best part is, a magazine subscription is CHEAP. Yep, you can get 12 months of your favorite magazine for around twenty dollars. So whether you like sexy and think Cosmo, or have high-end taste and are partial to Vogue, a fashion magazine can truly be your ticket to a relaxed and restful couple of hours.

Blog:
If you’re looking a completely free way to stay afloat in the fashion world, look no further than your laptop. Fashion blogs are huge right now and can provide all of the information you need to spruce up your wardrobe. From popular to independent blogs, these little gems are just a search away. My personal favorite, www.style.com, posts anything and everything your could imagine about fashion. From top designers’ shows, to news, to trend forecasting, this site literally has it all. Once you become as addicted to it as I am, you will definitely want to look into getting the mobile app and subscribing to the email updates to truly get your fashion fix everywhere!

Look Around:
For those of us who cannot spare even a minute to cater to our fashion needs, the best way to stay caught up on this season’s style is to simply open your eyes to your surroundings. Appalachian is full of fashionable females that sport the latest trends on a day-to-day basis. Not to mention, there are so many different types of personal style on this campus, you are sure to see something that catches your eye. So, next time you’re rushing between classes, be sure to pick your head up and open your eyes. After all, fashion originates in the streets or, in our case, between the library and the Raley traffic circle.

Now that you know my top three ways to stay connected to the fashion world, you have no excuse to fall behind on this season’s latest trends! 

Brittany Fielding is a senior studying Apparel Design and Merchandising at Appalachian State University. She loves to write, shop, exercise, watch sports, and spend time with her friends and family. Originally from Cleveland, OH, Brittany plans on moving back to a big city after graduation to pursue a career in fashion buying/merchandising. 
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!