Familiar Faces and Controversies: ‘Feather’ Has It All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you needed a visual of men getting it handed to them, you’re in luck. Sabrina Carpenter released her music video for Feather on Halloween, giving herself and those who have experienced the bad behavior of men some delicious revenge. 

Feather details moving on from a breakup, recognizing how that person weighed her down, and realizing she’s better than that. Like most songs by Carpenter, Feather is catchy, upbeat, and fun; it has even picked up its own dance on TikTok. With a song that has captured hearts and relates to many listeners, it’s no surprise that it would come to life in a video.

The video opens up with Sabrina driving up to a church. She goes about her day and encounters different groups of men throughout. Amongst the men is Milo Manheim, which fans were excited to see. The men she comes across meet their end after objectifying her – including Manheim, who got his tie stuck in the elevator doors after taking an inappropriate picture of Carpenter.

With the men being taken down, all that is left is a bloody scene. Unbothered, the singer goes about her day. Going back to the church, she is seen wearing a black dress and veil, dancing around the altar with candles and pastel coffins surrounding the area. At peace, she smiles and drives away.

Since its release, Carpenter’s video has been the topic of conversation amongst various groups. Initially met with praise, there was someone who wasn’t too fond of the singer parading around in a short dress in a church after the death and murder of men. In a statement released to People Magazine, Bishop Brennan of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church (where Feather was filmed) is “appalled” by the contents of the video about the church. The claim is that the guidelines of diocesan policy were not followed.

Despite the controversy from the church, fans have brushed it off and embraced it. A TikTok posted by abelkarti has said that “real pop stars are back,” with its comments adding “That’s such a Madonna move. Love it,” and “She’s iconic for that.”

At the end of the day, Sabrina Carpenter continues to make statements (whether she intends to or not) and produce hits. 
Feather, along with her album Emails I Can’t Send, are available on Spotify and Apple Music.

Sophia Alayna

App State '24

Sophia is a Senior at Appalachian State University. She is pursuing a degree in English Creative Writing and Gender, Women's, & Sexualities studies! Sophia enjoys writing, getting in her feels, and creating/maintaining connections with loved ones.