Dorm Worthy Workouts for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you’re like me and countless others, you might have made it your New Year’s Resolution to stay active.  However, on frigid days with wind gusts that resemble those in the Arctic Tundra, the last thing I want to do is trek through the cold, risking frostbite just to make it to the gym. Obviously going for a jog outside is out of the question, so this presents a bit of a conundrum.  How am I supposed to get in a decent workout with conditions like these? Luckily, there are countless ways to squeeze in a great workout when you can’t leave your apartment or dorm room.  Here are some of my favorite routines that I turn to when Mother Nature prevents me from hitting the gym, or when time and space are limited.

Stairs

Take advantage of those stairs in your residence hall!  One of the easiest ways to incorporate a little cardio into your daily routine is to take the stairs, rather than the elevator.  I live on the 7th level of my building, so you can imagine how winded I am when I reach my floor. Whether you live on the 2nd or the 9th floor, make it your goal to take the stairs at least once a day.

If you’re feeling extra ambitious, turn those stairs into an entire workout.  Start at the first floor, jog your way to the top, and carefully make your way back down. You can go as fast or as slow as you wish.  This is a great workout option because you get cardio and strength training all in one.  Not to mention, you don’t even have to leave the building! Just 10-20 minutes of stair climbing will leave your butt and thighs burning for days!

Textbooks

We’ve all got ‘em, so you might as well put those bulky books to good use when you’re snowed in.  Grab your heaviest book (or two…) and hold it firmly as you do 2-3 sets of squats.  After squats, grab two lighter books and hold them by your side as you do 2-3 sets of stationary lunges.  Next, lie on the floor and focus on your abs! If Russian twists are a normal part of your ab routine, add the weight of a book for extra burn!  Essentially, most any of your favorite moves can be kicked up a notch, simply by using weights, in this case, a textbook! Just be careful to maintain good posture and form so that the added weight doesn’t injure you.

[pagebreak]

Apps

There’s an app for everything.  Really.  You can access countless fitness apps that are designed to give you a great workout with limited space and equipment.  The best part? Most of them are free! My personal favorite is the Nike Training Club App.  It has high interval cardio exercises to help you get lean; workouts with light weights if you’re looking to add definition to your body; workouts with increased weights if you want to get strong; and workouts that target specific areas of your body that might need a little extra attention.  The workouts range anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes. One of my favorite features is the app’s built in timer.  Say goodbye to the days of staring at a clock or stopwatch as you exercise.  The app’s voice over tells you how much time remains in a particular exercise, and even provides motivational phrases throughout the workout. The app also tracks your progress over time, so you can see how far you’ve come in your fitness journey!  Finally, the workouts range in intensity.  So whether you’re a beginner, intermediate, or advanced fitness junkie, there’s a specific workout for you. It’s like having a personal trainer on your phone!

Dance It Out

Being cooped up in a dorm room all day is less than desirable and can leave you feeling restless!  If you’re not feeling the crunches or pushups, crank your favorite hip-hop music and dance! Moderate intensity dancing for 30 minutes can burn anywhere from 200-300 calories!  It’s a fun way to let out a little steam and burn off some of that junk food you probably munched on throughout the day.

There are countless other ways to incorporate a good workout into your day even when you can’t leave your apartment, or space is limited in your dorm room.  There is no excuse to miss a work out!  Surf the web and browse the app store for more ideas, so that you can find a workout best suited for you!

I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!