A Collegiette’s Guide to Birthday Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Birthdays are a whole different world in college than they are in high school. There are so many options to choose from when it comes to celebrating this special event: dinner with friends, bars, house parties, or any combination of activities. Lots of times, our friend’s birthdays spring up on us and we are stuck searching for the perfect gift at the last minute. Here’s a guide to being the best gift-giver on your girl friend’s special days, helping you to find the present that fits your budget and occasion.

For a 21st Birthday:
There is no doubt that a girl’s 21st birthday is one of the most exciting college milestones. Have a fabulous, and safe, night celebrating and make her feel like the birthday princess with any one of these picks.
– Grab her a bottle of champagne and a bouquet of flowers. If you don’t know if she likes champagne, Strawberry Andre is affordable and deliciously pink. Add a ribbon to the bottle and she’s ready to uncork and celebrate!
– Outfit her for a night of merriment; the classic “21st accessory choices” are classics for a reason. Find her a tiara, a sash, a pin… anything that will signal that it’s her special night. If you want to go the extra mile, you can make her a scavenger hunt for the night. Search online for some creative tasks; just make sure you’re not solely listing things for her to drink… no one wants to be sick on their birthday.
– Do some research online and find all the ingredients for a classic party girl drink. This is a great gift to go in with other friends on, especially if some of the parts are a little pricey. Assemble everything together in a cute gift bag, make a little recipe card, and you’re done! Drink suggestions: martinis, cosmos, margaritas, or if she’s a Harry Potter fan, butter beer (seriously, Google it).

Do It Yourself: Sometimes, a present that you’ve made especially for the birthday girl means more than just grabbing a giftcard. It can also be a less-expensive way to show your friend how well you really know her by coming up with a completely unique and thoughtful gift.
– Monogrammed wine/martini glasses are extremely popular and easy birthday presents. Or, if monogramming isn’t quite her style, outfitting a glass with any design, whether it be black and gold or her favorite colors, it’s sure to be something she’ll use for years to come.
– DIY dry erase boards are way easier than most would think. Simply buy a picture frame (you can thrift one if the glass is still ok!), spray paint the frame a cute color, then put a sheet of matching patterned paper in the frame. Instant to-do list board!
– Chocolate covered pretzels topped with sprinkles are easy to make and make a great present in an oversized mason jar with a ribbon tied around it.

Pinterest is a great way to find easy, cute do-it-yourself projects and offers lots of creative ideas for gift giving! Get a free account at www.pinterest.comand prepare to be addicted to the countless pictures of inspiration.

[pagebreak]

For the Foodie:Let’s face it, we all love food. Nothing is better than looking forward to a fantastic meal, whether it’s a Sunday brunch or dinner at a special restaurant. Even if she loves to cook, she’ll enjoy the chance to try something new or indulge in her personal favorites on her birthday.
– Take her out to dinner! Going out to eat is so much more fun when someone else is paying, and she’ll enjoy the night off from tipping with a friend like you. Try somewhere out of the ordinary, like Makotos sushi bar, Crave, or Red Onion.
– Pick her up a cake or a box of her favorite desserts from Stick Boy. Make sure to call ahead if you are ordering a whole cake, and don’t forget your student discount!
– Giving a gift card to Hokkaido or Chai da Thai will ensure that next time she’s craving a cozy movie night at home, she’ll have a delicious box of take out to make the evening complete.

For the Fashionista: There are ways to feed a friend’s wardrobe without guessing the wrong size or breaking the bank… don’t forget to check for student discounts at each store.
– The Tanger outlets in Blowing Rock are a great place to find good accessories. J Crew and Banana Republic especially always have an array of cute scarves, belts, and jewelry.
– Remember that pair of too-expensive earrings she was dying for? Or the necklace that she tragically lost one night while she was out? Find a picture for reference if you can and recreate that great piece of jewelry at Bead Box on King Street.

While these are only just a few ideas to get you started, don’t forget to be creative and look for the things that make your friend who she is! With a little preparation and some thoughtfulness, you’ll soon become legendary for your gift-giving skills among your circle of friends.

Birthdays are a whole other world in college than they are in high school. There are so many options to choose from when it comes to celebrating this special event: dinner with friends, bars, house parties, or any combination of activities. Lots of times, our friend’s birthday spring up on us and we are stuck searching for the perfect gift at the last minute. Here’s a guide to being the best gift-giver on any one of your girl friend’s special days, helping you to find the present that fits your budget and occasion.

For a 21st Birthday: There is no doubt that a girl’s 21st birthday is one of the most exciting college milestones. Have a fabulous, and safe, night celebrating and make her feel like the birthday princess with any one of these picks.
Grab her a bottle of champagne and a bouquet of flowers. If you don’t know if she likes champagne, Strawberry Andre is affordable and deliciously pink. Add a ribbon to the bottle and she’s ready to uncork and celebrate!
Outfit her for a night of merriment; the classic “21st accessory choices” are classics for a reason. Find her a tiara, a sash, a pin… anything that will signal that it’s her special night. If you want to go the extra mile, you can make her a scavenger hunt for the night. Search online for some creative tasks; just make sure you’re not solely listing things for her to drink… no one wants to be sick on their birthday. 
Do some research online and find all the ingredients for a classic party girl drink. This is a great gift to go in with other friends on, especially if some of the parts are a little pricey. Assemble everything together in a cute gift bag, make a little recipe card, and you’re done! Drink suggestions: martinis, cosmos, margaritas, or if she’s a Harry Potter fan, butter beer (seriously, Google it).

Do It Yourself: Sometimes, a present that you’ve made especially for the birthday girl means more than just grabbing a gift card. It can also be a less-expensive way to show your friend how well you really know her by coming up with a completely unique and thoughtful gift.
Monogrammed wine/martini glasses are extremely popular and easy birthday presents. Or, if monogramming isn’t quite her style, outfitting a glass with any design, whether it be black and gold or her favorite colors, it’s sure to be something she’ll use for years to come. 
DIY dry erase boards are way easier than most would think. Simply buy a picture frame (you can thrift one if the glass is still ok!), spray paint the frame a cute color, then put a sheet of matching patterned paper in the frame. Instant to-do list board!
Chocolate covered pretzels topped with sprinkles are easy to make and make a great present in an oversized mason jar with a ribbon tied around it. 

Pinterest is a great way to find easy, cute do-it-yourself projects and offers lots of creative ideas for gift giving! Get a free account at www.pinterest.com and prepare to be addicted to the countless pictures of inspiration. 

For the Foodie: Let’s face it, we all love food. Nothing is better than looking forward to a fantastic meal, whether it’s a Sunday brunch or dinner at a special restaurant. Even if she loves to cook, she’ll enjoy the chance to try something new or indulge in her personal favorites on her birthday.
Take her out to dinner! Going out to eat is so much more fun when someone else is paying, and she’ll enjoy the night off from tipping with a friend like you. Try somewhere out of the ordinary, like Makotos sushi bar, Crave, or Red Onion.
Pick her up a cake or a box of her favorite desserts from Stick Boy. Make sure to call ahead if you are ordering a whole cake, and don’t forget your student discount!
A gift card to Hokkaido or Chai da Thai will ensure that next time she’s craving a cozy movie night at home, she’ll have a delicious box of take out to make the evening complete.

The Tanger outlets in Blowing Rock are a great place to find good accessories. J Crew and Banana Republic especially always have an array of cute scarves, belts, and jewelry. 
Remember that pair of too-expensive earrings she was dying for? Or the necklace that she tragically lost one night while she was out? Find a picture for reference if you can and recreate that great piece of jewelry at Bead Box on King Street.
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!