College Gym Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Generally speaking, the scene at the SRC on a particularly busy day is similar to the atmosphere of the world’s most typical college party. There are people whose sole attendance is for the purpose of seeing and being seen. They look their best; never seeming to break a sweat or to motivate themselves both socially and physically. There are also those people who have most likely been persuaded—or guilt tripped—by a friend there always looking disdainful, awkward, and nervous as they try to navigate the unknown regions of weights and aerobics. Then there are the rookies (no offense freshmen) who go crazy and use every machine under the sun on the highest level in a single work-out and end up physically debilitating themselves for the next week. There are the hardcore regulars, the ones at the party that sit undisturbed by the presence of others talking to another regular. And yes, finally, there are the Ke$ha individuals—both male and female—whose dramatic actions and outfits demand the attention of everyone in the building (I’m looking at you, guy-who-doesn’t-think-shirts-are-necessary-and/or-courteous).

All blaring stereotypes aside, gym culture at any university is an extremely complex concept (keep in mind that this is coming from the perspective of an extremely non-committal gym go-er whose workouts are moderate enough that it allows plenty of time to people-watch and observe). If you are not one of those people who feels even the slightest bit of self-consciousness when you go to the gym, this blog is probably not for you. I do, however, envy your innate aerobic confidence and ability to treat a normal daily activity as such, a completely routine part of life.

But for those of us who are not quite as accustomed, it’s the ultimate paradox of self-awareness: You want to go to the gym to get in shape and lose weight, yet you don’t want to go unless you’re already in good-enough shape to let everyone in the elliptical row behind you see your legs jiggle while you run. You need to go for yourself, yet it’s more fun, convenient, and comfortable if you bring along a friend to walk around with and talk to. Even the parking lot is a confrontational nightmare—after 4 pm you find yourself hurriedly trying to turn around in the top of the lot when you realize that the space you have waited so long for is getting picked off by someone who just drove in the gate. At some point, you want to start working out your arms and your shoulders, but cannot figure out the appropriate machine in the weight room to save your life. So you avoid unknown areas like the plague and remain seemingly content with your 60 minutes of elliptical/biking/running/speed-walking on a risky looking incline. You know the deal, every time you step into the room with the cardio machines praying for an open treadmill, most everyone’s head turns to check you out. It’s really such a strange phenomenon how quickly a closer, condensed environment in college can turn into that awkward, self-conscious feeling from high school all over again.

However, we can’t become accustomed to avoiding the parts of college that do not fit neatly into our comfort zone. Numerous gym facilities automatically included in tuition is one of the huge perks of student life on a campus like ours, and any post-grad will tell you to take full advantage of not having to pay a gym membership fee every month. Maybe it’s time to just embrace the inevitable fact: the social dynamic of college gyms will sometimes resemble that of a crowded bar on King Street. Being a college student is a part of life and all those moments where we don’t feel 100% confident are the ones that help us grow and learn about ourselves for the next thing we set out to do. Even if it’s not the gym for you, challenge yourself to approach situations that you may not be familiar with, just for the sake of networking on campus and finding some unexpected experiences. Keep in mind you don’t have to jump right into a new club and run for secretary, just make sure your laces are double-knotted before you get on the treadmill. 

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!