Closet Clean Up: What to Toss and Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As Thanksgiving break comes to a close and final exam periods begin, one thing is for sure: we will probably put on a few pounds. Let’s be honest, who wants to go to the gym after an entire day of studying in the library? Or better yet, who wants to go home and cook a healthy meal when a Mcdonald’s cheeseburger is only a dollar away? As your waistline widens and your works out hours shorten, now is a great time to weed through your closet and get rid of things that won’t fit you by the end of the year or things you simply haven’t worn in months.

Here are the top five excuses you’ll need to avoid while cleaning out your closet:

“I just misplaced it. I’ll wear it from now on.”
We’ve all told ourselves this lie. Sure, it’s a cute outfit, but it obviously wasn’t cute enough to grab your attention when you misplaced it. As these items sink deeper into your dresser drawers, they will be replaced by newer outfits. If you didn’t remember them then, you definitely won’t remember them when those new Christmas presents are added to your wardrobe.

“It’s a basic piece. I should keep this.”

– This could be a valid excuse, to an extent. Some pieces, such as a black tank top, are necessary in every girl’s wardrobe. But when you look in your closet and find six different black tank tops, some aging back to your high school days, it’s time to toss a few out. Don’t over clutter your closet with identical pieces! Save room for more fabulous outfits that you’re sure to find in the future.

“I’ve had this for years. I feel attached.”
-So what? Yes, your green and white flowered Keds were adorable, when you were seven. But as adults in the college world, you will have no use for those shoes. Rather than allowing these precious pieces to collect dust in your closet, why not donate them to a charity that will give these clothes to people who actually need them? That way, when you look back on these outfits and accessories, you will not only remember your fond memories with them, but take comfort in the fact that someone else is making new memories with the exact same pieces.

[pagebreak]

“I paid a lot for this!”
I know, I know. Nothing is harder than staring at that ridiculous pair of ripped up Hollister jeans, reminiscing on how you dropped $80 bucks on them, and then throwing them in the Goodwill pile. This is a decision that must be made, so swallow your pride, toss them in the garbage, and try to forgive yourself for this fashion sin that you committed all during your adolescent years.

“Yeah, it’s a little big, but I’ll get it altered next week.”
– No, no you won’t. For example, I once found a pair of Seven For All Mankind jeans at the local Goodwill (by the way, who would ever give those away?). They were in perfect condition but nearly five sizes too big. Not ready to pass up such a bargain, I strode to the checkout line anyway, convinced that I would find a seamstress who could magically make them shrink to fit my size. Months later, those pants continued to hang in my closet, and I had yet to take them to a seamstress. I finally decided that my discovery would be of better use at a resale shop. It was a win-win situation: I could sell these pants and make a profit, while some other girl would fit perfectly in them and wear them far more than I would. If you’ve been meaning to get your piece altered for months, and it hasn’t happened, it’s time to toss it.

Avoid these excuses while cleaning out your wardrobe, and you’re sure to have a closet that is organized and full of only fabulous pieces! 

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!