Cameron Morgan and Andrea McFee: Commanding Their Place in the Male Dominated World of Furniture and Industrial Design

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

In the male-dominated field of Furniture and Industrial Design, Cameron Morgan and Andrea McFee are two women diversifying what was once a man’s world. They both are participants in the Perennial WoodTM Appalachian Design Studio Project, a collaboration between Fortune 500 Company Eastman Chemical and the Furniture/Industrial Design department. Cameron and Andrea, along with 21 other design students, designed their own pieces of outdoor furniture using Perennial WoodTM. Their designs embody innovation and style with a feminine flair. Read along to find out how Cameron and Andrea stand their ground in a male-dominated field and how they transformed their extra X-chromosome into a major advantage. They are inspiring and creative women finding their place in a man’s world…read along to find out more on their story.

Name: Cameron Morgan (pictured left)
Age: 21
Hometown: Charlottesville, VA
Major: Industrial Design
Hobbies/Interest: Photography, Painting, Antiques, DIY Projects and Blogging

Name: Andrea McFee (pictured right)
Age: 21
Hometown: Avery County, NC
Major: Industrial Design
Hobbies/Interest: Playing basketball, softball, drawing, painting, hanging out with friends

Q: What initially attracted you to industrial design?
Cameron: I have always known that I wanted to pursue a creative career. I have always been interested in every aspect of design, from architecture, to furniture, to textiles. Industrial design allows me to explore all these aspects. I am able to design basically anything and also am being taught how to create these designs on my own.
Andrea: I have always been an artsy person, and I have always enjoyed designing, so I figured that industrial design would be perfect for me.

Q: Did you ever consider entering another major here at ASU?
Cameron: I knew industrial design would be an extremely difficult and time-consuming major so I did consider other majors that interested me such as journalism and psychology. However, I knew that I was always meant to be in a studio creating things. No matter how hard it may be at some times, I know I am doing what I love and that is the most important thing to me.
Andrea: I started off as an Architectural Design major here at App, but I soon changed my major because it wasn’t creative enough for me.

Q: Have you faced any challenges in a male dominated major/field? If so, please explain.
Cameron: I face challenges daily but I have learned to not take things so personal and that it’s important to pick and choose your battles wisely. I am the only female in most of my classes and I often feel like my classmates, and even my teachers, do not take me seriously. However, this only motivates me to work harder and to prove that I am good at what I do. Sometimes when my fellow classmates want to help me, I mistake it for them talking down to me because I am the only girl. I’ve had to learn to put these assumptions aside because to be an equal you have to believe you are one before anyone else can.
Andrea: I have felt a little discriminated against a few times, but I have been fairly comfortable around the guys in my major.

Q: What do you like about being one of few women in your major/field?
Cameron: I like the fact that I do stand out in this major. I just have to make sure I stand out in a good way. When it comes to presentations, I know that people start to pay attention when they hear a loud female voice. And yes, I can be very loud. I always try to speak up whenever there are discussions because I want my voice to be heard. I think its extremely important whenever you are a minority to always have your voice heard.
Andrea: I feel as if I have an upper hand at being remembered and liked as a woman in the field.

[pagebreak]

Q: As a woman, do you feel as though you posses any advantages over men in the major/field? If so what are they?
?Cameron: Yes, like I said before, I do stand out. Whenever we are meeting with possible future employers I know they will remember the one girl. I think people are impressed by the fact that I possess skills that are more common for men. Another advantage I have is my knowledge of the design community. I spend most of my free time studying all aspects of design and its market. I do this because I want to but also because I know having this knowledge will help stand out among my male dominated major. Guys can have pretty big egos and will spend the majority of their time focusing on their own designs and refuse to look at what’s already out there.
Andrea: I feel like I have a slight upper hand in finding a job since I am one of the few women in the field.

Q: Would you encourage more women to enter the field of industrial design? If so, what would you say to them?
Cameron: I will always encourage women to enter my field. I would tell them to keep their head high and to never be afraid. For when you’re afraid you lose your ability to create. I have wanted to give up numerous times. But whenever I am feeling alone and beat, I walk outside to have a moment away from all the voices I hear telling me I can’t or that I am not as good as everyone else. Then, I basically tell myself to shut up because I know I am good enough and I know I can do this. Your worst enemy is yourself and you cannot take things so personally. Always make your presence known and your voice heard. Never be afraid to ask for help. It does not make you seem weaker; it shows that you want to learn. ?
Andrea: I would, yet they would need to acquire many skills that most women in today’s society wouldn’t normally have.

Q: In your latest project, what were your inspirations for your furniture designs?
Cameron: My inspiration came from vintage designs. I wanted to create something that was simple and practical. Something that would sell. Since the purpose of this project was to promote Perennial WoodTM, I wanted my furniture to be made entirely out of this product. Wood is my favorite material to work with because of its natural beauty, so this was something I wanted to show off in my design. The love seat I created is simple enough to where it can blend with any outdoor environment. I wanted my piece to support any outdoor activity whether you like to sun bathe, read, socialize or cuddle with a significant other. 
Andrea: I was inspired by the wood, but my first thought was to basically frame the wood with steel. I feel that steel just shows off the wood and makes it look more exciting.

Q: What is your specific area of interest in industrial design? What are your future career aspirations?
Cameron: I would like to pursue a career in designing home furnishings. I enjoy collecting antiques and vintage furniture and restoring them to be sold. I would also enjoy being a buyer for a company since I am very well informed of designers and popular designs. As long as I am doing something that involves creativity and design I will be happy.
Andrea: I really like the furniture aspect of industrial design, yet I really like designing in general. I am unsure as to what my future career aspirations are at this point.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!