Style > Fashion

Bundling Up: Staying Warm and Authentic to You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As App State students, one of our biggest challenges can be learning how to bundle up and still showcasing our personal styles. During winter our first instinct can be to throw on whatever sweater or sweatshirt will keep us the warmest. However, the key to being able to keep your authentic style in what feels like the arctic actually isn’t too challenging. Layering can be any App State student’s best friend. 

Building your wardrobe to have an assortment of pieces from basics to those that showcase you is essential. Although this could sound like an expensive task, there are several ways around it and the biggest one is thrifting. Decide what items you are willing to spend a little bit more money on such as jackets. The perfect winter jacket is vital and the first step to surviving the winters here at App. From brands like Patagonia, North Face and Columbia, you can find the jacket that will best suit your needs and style. In order to layer and make a statement with your winter fit, opt for a solid colored jacket or muted color pattern. However, don’t forget there are always dupes, so choosing your style winter jacket and doing a simple Google search will do the trick. You may even hit up the thrift store to find a steal. Thrifting is not only a great way to come across a steal in terms of the perfect winter coat, but it also builds your basics collection. 

Building Your Basics: 

The basics will often include the neutral-toned pieces that will typically be going under your statement pieces. Although thermal tees are always a viable option and one to have. There are also several styles you can choose from or look for. A personal favorite is a mock neck long sleeve shirt. These provide an extra layer of warmth, a little flare poking out, and of course, an option that will keep your neck warm without having to add a scarf. Even though a long sleeve v-neck can sound very 2010, layering this on top of a mock neck can instantly amp it up. Collecting different styles and a variety of colors of your underlayers will allow you to get a lot of use out of them,never limiting what you want to wear that day as you can always get creative with them. 

The Sweater Frenzy

Sweaters, Sweaters, Sweaters. End of Story. The sweater will always be a classic piece that comes in so many forms, prints, fits and colors. From cardigans, sweater vests, grandpa sweaters, turtlenecks, and the list goes on,will always be your best friend during the harsh winter months. These are insanely easy to layer with and can be used as your statement piece if you desire. Building a solid sweater collection with a variety of fits, colors, and prints is an excellent way to have fun with your winter wardrobe. A classic go-to on a chilly day is a good grandpa sweater with a mock neck or thermal underneath. A grandpa sweater is a great way to add a vintage/retro piece to your collection. These can be found in various colors and patterns,typically at your local thrift store. If you’re looking to spice it up, adding a few sweater vests can amp up your closet. A sweater vest can be worn for any season and is an overall solid purchase.In the winter months a good vest with a mock neck or a regular turtleneck will always be classic and in style. Whether your tops collection is neutral or full of prints, a plethora of pants can also be an exciting way to add to any outfit. 

Pants, Pants, and Well More Pants

No matter where you live, a pair of jeans is always a must-have. But what is available for the winter other than jeans? Corduroys and trousers. These tend to be thicker pairs of pants and can be used when you want to play with texture, pattern, or keep a look classic. Similar to jeans, the majority of stores are bringing back corduroys but now in different styles from high rise, flare, and straight leg. There is typically a corduroy fit out there for everyone and now more than ever in a huge variety of colors rather than your basic khaki. Trousers are also an excellent option and a pant that is reappearing on the scene and increasing in popularity. Although the fits aren’t as broad as jeans and corduroys, they are still an excellent choice for both comfort and warmth. Trousers can more often be found in prints and added to any solid-colored layered sweater and undershirt duo. They can take the outfit to the next level and maintain the warmth we all desire during the cold months. Always have two types of leggings ready to layer underneath your pants. Keep a standard legging in your wardrobe and a fleece pair for the frigid days.  

Chloe Mair

App State '24

I was born in Kentucky but grew up in Wake Forest, North Carolina where the college used to be. I have always been quite active when it comes to hobbies, I have done everything from soccer, running, art, photography, lots of reading, hiking of course and always with music playing. I enjoy using my hobbies and my style as mediums to show off my authentic self. You will definitely catch me writing just about anything I can. I've learned to love enjoying the little things in life and I hope to share that.