Boone Winter Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Everyone knows that the winter months in Boone are nothing to joke about. Between the bitterly cold temperatures, gusty winds, and mounds of snow and ice, we as ASU students really have to prepare ourselves for what lies ahead.

Flannel sheets and/or an electric blanket

There is no better feeling in the world than getting into a soft, cozy bed that has already been warmed up for you. Flannel sheets can make a big difference on cold winter nights, and may even help you keep your heating bill a little lower than normal. Places like Wal-Mart, Target and TJ Maxx all offer seasonal sheet sets, so it makes it easy to add a little holiday happiness to your room.

Good waterproof boots (and waterproofing spray)
All of the snow may be pretty, but it might as well be rain if you’re walking around campus all day. When it’s really coming down hard, you’ll get soaked if you’re not prepared. Also, one of the most valuable investments that you’ll ever make while living in Boone is a good, insulated (and waterproof) pair of boots. Yes, Uggs are warm, but they are essentially like wearing sponges on your feet when several inches of snow cover the ground. Look at brands like Merrell or Keen to find cute, warm footwear with good traction that will be dependable for years to come.

Waterproof mascara
Going along with the necessity for waterproof clothing and shoes, don’t forget about your mascara. I have personally been a victim of walking out the door for class, only to find that the big, fluffy flakes of snow landing on my eyelashes were melting and sending streams of mascara down my face. Spare yourself the concerned/weird looks and wear waterproof on heavy snow days.

Ice scraper
If you’ve been in Boone for a winter already, you’ve seen how creative people can get when it comes to removing snow and ice from their cars. I’ve seen kayak paddles, bare hands, tennis racquets (ok, maybe that was me) and even brooms being used on windshields. Don’t get caught without a basic ice scraper, they’re sold just about anywhere and are extremely cheap. It can help you avoid being late due to sitting in your buried car waiting for it to defrost.

[pagebreak]

Hair dryer
For those girls who are lucky enough to air dry their hair on a daily basis, make sure you have a hair dryer for the colder months. Don’t venture out with wet hair on the coldest days, you’ll find yourself sitting in class separating the sections of your hair that have stiffly frozen together.

Chapstick

This is pretty much self-explanatory. Buy about three tubes of Blistex and put them in your backpack, purse, and apartment. And check out this article for other ways to combat winter skin woes.

Coffee/Hot chocolate money
Even if you don’t have a meal plan, put enough money on your AppCard to treat yourself to a hot drink every once in a while. On the most brutal of weather days, sometimes you need to just sit down with a peppermint mocha to warm up and collect yourself. If you aren’t a coffee or hot chocolate drinker, Cascades always has warm apple cider.

Long underwear/thermal leggings
It’s true, there are some days in Boone that just require two pairs of pants. Just prepare yourself for how hot the buildings will be once you actually get into class.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!