This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Boone has a plethora of underestimated attractions when it comes to outdoor recreation and unique shopping. However, this area is greatly lacking in one type of retail that is of everyday necessity for many college women: beauty products. Living in a place devoid of Ulta, Sephora, and even Target can feel a little limiting at times, especially if you love perusing aisles of the new OPI nail polish collection or trying out the latest lip tint by Benefit. Even if you don’t find yourself regularly shopping the world of cosmetic retail, the right new mascara or hair serum can undoubtedly be the perfect pick-me-up during a stressful and hectic week of school. But there are also reservations to this type of indulgence: limited shopping resources, shipping costs, and expensive products that can feel like too much of an investment to risk not liking once it actually arrives.

Enter Birchbox. It’s a monthly subscription that delivers a sample box of deluxe beauty products right to your door. This box of goodies is just $10 a month (no extra shipping costs), and a subscription can be canceled with no fees at any time. For the price of dinner at Panera, you can look forward to a little delivery (4-6 deluxe samples) of hand-picked makeup, hair, and skin products and more each month. While sample items stay a surprise until you open your box, subscribers may find anything from glitter Essie topcoat, to Philosophy Purity face wash, to full-size Tarte lip stains and NARS illuminator. The Birchbox website allows subscribers to complete a beauty profile as well, which indicates that your samples will be chosen based on your skin type, color tones, and level of product proficiency.

Birchbox is the perfect (and inexpensive) outlet to “treat yosef”– whether you are a makeup elitist or just inspired to freshen up your beauty routine each month. A gift option is also offered as well as yearly subscriptions, making it simple to give the perfect present to girl friends, hostesses, mothers, bridesmaids, or just a little indulgence for your fabulous, Collegiette self. 

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!