This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

For the past year, a lot of us have had to stay indoors to keep ourselves and others safe. It often became depressing for me to be indoors all the time so I tried to find new ways to make my environment more comfortable. House plants are a great way to make your space more comfortable and uplifting. Bringing life into your room can uplift your mood and bring the outdoors inside. Below are some plants that live great indoors.

Aloe Vera Plant

If you’ve ever been out in the sun and gotten one of those painful, itchy sunburns, this plant is probably familiar to you. The juice from aloe vera leaves treats burns and scrapes when you apply it to the affected area. Since this plant is a succulent species, it doesn’t need very frequent watering so that the plant’s roots don’t rot. Although the plant doesn’t need frequent watering, when you do water it, it needs to be enough for the soil to be moist after watering. Aloe vera plants need to be placed in indirect sunlight or artificial lighting, which makes these plants so perfect for indoor growing. The ideal temperature to keep these plants is between 55 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit which is also another factor that makes aloe vera so perfect for living indoors. 

Bird of Paradise Plant

The bird of paradise plant is a beautiful plant that can be grown indoors and it is recommended as an indoor plant for those who live in colder climates. The plant gets its name from the brightly colored flower that resembles a bird in flight. The plant grows best in 65 to 70-degree weather conditions because it is a tropical plant native to South Africa. When it comes to watering, you should thoroughly wet the soil and allow it to dry slightly before watering the plant again. The plant may need to be misted during the winter months because it prefers moderate humidity. 

Jade Plant

Jade plants are amazing for indoor growth because they’re succulents and they live longer. This plant actually needs four hours of direct sunlight each day if they are older. If the plant is younger, it should be kept in bright indirect sunlight. Similar to the bird of paradise plant, one should make sure that the jade plant is kept in an environment that is anywhere from 65 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. For watering, the plant is actively growing in the spring and summer and it will require more water than other times of the year. In the fall and winter, the plant goes dormant which means that it grows slower or pauses in growth. This means that the plant won’t need to be watered as much. When watering a jade plant, be careful not to splash water on the leaves because it can expose them to rot in a humid environment. 

Baby Rubber Plant (Peperomia obtusifolia)

Peperomia obtusifolia is a succulent-like plant found in the rainforests of South America. An interesting fact about the plant is that it isn’t actually related to Hevea Brasiliensis which is the primary resource of natural rubber. The plant thrives in medium to bright indirect light, but it can tolerate low indirect light. This plant is perfect for indoors because it isn’t suited for intense, direct sunlight. When it comes to watering, baby rubber plants only need to be watered once or twice a week so the soil can dry in between waterings. You can increase watering frequency along with an increase in light. The ideal temperature for the plant is anywhere from 65 to 75 degrees, so if you’re comfortable then the baby rubber plant is also comfortable.  

I hope this guide to indoor plants was helpful and I hope that these plants find their way into your home and bring you happiness!

Madison Lipe

App State '23

Hi! I'm a senior journalism major here at App State with a minor in marketing. I'm from Denver, NC, which is a suburb outside of Charlotte, NC. I enjoy writing lifestyle pieces and I've been writing for HerCampus for three years.
Caroline is a senior English major at Appalachian State University concentrating in Film Studies with a minor in Theatre Arts. After she graduates in the spring of 2021, Caroline hopes to either work abroad teaching English as a second language, in the American school system or artistically to pursue creative writing. Caroline has been a member of HerCampus App State since 2019. Along with being its 2020 - 2021 Campus Correspondent, she has also held the positions of Senior Editor, Social Media Director, and was a part of the Campus Trendsetter Program.