A Beginner’s Guide to Snowboarding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.
As students at ASU, we are lucky to be in close proximity to many recreational attractions that most people travel hours to find. If you’ve never tried skiing or snowboarding, it definitely deserves a place on your Boone bucket-list while you are so close to the mountains and are allowed a valuable student discount. If you really want to commit to learning, there are both ski and snowboarding classes on various levels offered through the University for health and fitness credit. Even if you don’t have any equipment or even a car, you can pay reasonable fees to rent gear for each class meeting as well as buy a weekly bus pass to Appalachian Ski Mountain where classes are held.  App Ski Mountain, Beech, and Sugar all have weekly specials, so check their websites to make sure you get the best deal as a student. Snowboarding in particular can be especially hard to learn, so keep these things in mind if you’ve never tried out the slopes before. 
-Wear waterproof clothing, no jeans. 
First rule of snowboarding, you will be on the ground more than off on your first day of trying. If you’re not wearing waterproof outerwear, you’ll get soaked, cold, and miserable for the rest of your time on the mountain.
-Wear mittens (or gloves). 
Generally, mittens will keep your hands warmer than gloves, but can be harder when it comes to working your bindings. Falling onto your hands without protection will numb your fingers faster than you can imagine. 
-Pull your hair back.
You would think this would go without saying, but there is always a girl with clumsy soaked gloves trying to fix the wet hair plastered to her face. Don’t be that girl. 
-Be aware of your surroundings.
There are many angers beyond your control when you’re out on the slopes. Keep an eye out for other skiers and snowboarders maneuvering around you. Also, watch out for hard, icy spots that might cause you to get out of control. 
-Know your boundaries.
If you’re a beginner, stay on the beginner slopes. You don’t want to be the person that falls while getting off the life and causes the whole thing to stop for five minutes. You also don’t want to get stuck falling your way down a big hill, becoming an obstacle in everyone else’s way.
-Relax and have fun! It’s a fact: snowboarding is hard to learn. The movements will fight against your instincts and not many people become proficient on their first day. Don’t be too hard on yourself and just embrace your opportunity to be on a beautiful mountain near your college town. 
Be safe and practice makes perfect!
As students at ASU, we are lucky to be in close proximity to many recreational attractions that most people travel hours to find. If you’ve never tried skiing or snowboarding, it definitely deserves a place on your Boone bucket-list while you are so close to the mountains and are allowed a valuable student discount. If you really want to commit to learning, there are both ski and snowboarding classes on various levels offered through the University for health and fitness credit. Even if you don’t have any equipment or even a car, you can pay reasonable fees to rent gear for each class meeting as well as buy a weekly bus pass to Appalachian Ski Mountain where classes are held.  App Ski Mountain, Beech, and Sugar all have weekly specials, so check their websites to make sure you get the best deal as a student. Snowboarding, in particular, can be especially hard to learn, so keep these things in mind if you’ve never tried out the slopes before.

– Wear waterproof clothing, no jeans.
First rule of snowboarding, you will be on the ground more than off on your first day of trying. If you’re not wearing waterproof outerwear, you’ll be soaked, cold, and miserable for the rest of your time on the mountain.

-Wear mittens (or gloves).

-Pull your hair back.
You would think this would go without saying, but there is always a girl with clumsy soaked gloves trying to fix the wet hair plastered to her face. Don’t be that girl. Pigtail braids work well with hats! 

-Be aware of your surroundings.

-Know your boundaries.
If you’re a beginner, stay on the beginner slopes. You don’t want to be the person that falls while getting off the lift and causes the whole thing to stop for five minutes. You also don’t want to get stuck falling your way down a big hill, becoming an obstacle in everyone else’s way.

-Relax and have fun!
It’s a fact: snowboarding is hard to learn. The movements will fight against your instincts and not many people become proficient on their first day. Don’t be too hard on yourself and just embrace your opportunity to be on a beautiful mountain near your college town.

Be safe and remember, practice makes perfect!

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!