Beating the Wintertime Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

When in comes to Boone in the winter it can be very tempting to stay holed up in your room all day, only to venture out for classes and food. But do you find yourself avoiding friends, or lacking motivation? If so, here are some easy ways to beat the wintertime blues:

1. Go outside- although that can be a daunting task due to ice and snow, a brisk walk in the cool mountain air will really do you some good. You will get some color in your checks, and maybe even run into some friends.
  2. Increase your B vitamins- B6 and B12 have been linked to fighting feelings of tiredness and depression. Or stock up on some foods pack with vitamin B, such as bananas!
  3. Workout- Now is the perfect time to start working on your spring break bod, or make those New Year’s Resolutions last. It may be too cold to run outside, but what it stopping you from joining Cardio Dance at the Quinn?
  1. Make sure to get a good night’s sleep- Dedicate at least eight hours to sleep everyday. You will wake up in a better mood, and will be less likely to sneak in an afternoon nap!
  2. Make plans with your friends, and STICK TO THEM!- Although it way seem better to spent your weekends on Pinterest in your PJ’s, your mood will get a major boost after a good laugh with your besties!
  3. Get into a routine- If you make a habit of getting up at a certain time, going to class, grabbing lunch with a classmate, etc… then you have to do it! Don’t allow yourself to break your routine, and you will feel more accomplished and happy!

So try some of these helpful tips, and you will be out of your cold weather slump in no time! And remember spring and warm weather is just around the corner!