The App State Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Every year I say I’m going to try new things or go to that restaurant everyone’s always talking about. This is the year of no regrets and I hope you will have the same motto too. You know you wish you had tried a donut burger before Hot Diggity Dog closed!

#1: Sled down suicide hill.

When the first snow hits Boone, grab a cafeteria tray and go sledding! Ahhh!

#2: Have a girl’s day.

Step away from the Netflix or your boyfriend and hang out with just your girlfriends for once! Take a road trip to another city for a concert or to find a better mall (sigh.) If you don’t have the funds for a road trip, go out dancing! Char and Paolucci’s may be a little sketchy at times, but I think everyone should go at least once. Just go with a big group and don’t wear nice shoes.

#3: Get to know a professor.

Okay, so some professors aren’t very inviting, but most of them would love for someone to stop by their office hours. Bring them a cookie and get to know them a little better. Being teacher’s pet is never a bad thing, and it’s always good to have someone that can write you a letter of recommendation.

#4: Go on a night hike.

If you have already hiked all the trails nearby, go on a night hike! The views look completely different at night and you can see the stars better than you’ve ever seen them. Just make sure you do your research and go with someone that knows what they’re doing so you don’t get hurt.

#5: Go to a sporting event that isn’t football.

Our athletes will give you a show no matter what the sport is, so take advantage of these free events and show your school spirit! Even if you know nothing about the sport, you will have a good time watching the intensity and learning something new. Plus a little spandex never hurt anybody.

#6: Get Chip Faced or in other words binge eat junk food.

You know those cute cartoons Little Miss Sunshine, Happy, Chatterbox, etc? Well right now I am “Little Miss Cranky” and the last thing I want to do is follow my diet and eat an apple. This is where Hungry Howie’s and Rice Krispy Treats come in handy. Everyone needs to go to the market and fill up a basket with Ben & Jerry’s and Bagel Bites at least a few times a semester when you really need it.

#7: Take at least one class that isn’t for your major.

College is the time to figure out who you are and what you’re interested in. Even if you’ve already declared your major you should still take a class in something you’ve always wanted to try like snowboarding, interior design, or ballet. If you don’t have flexibility in your schedule, you can always join one of the hundreds of clubs available on campus.

#8: Get a Pumpkin Milkshake from Macado’s.

They only have them for a limited time around Halloween so grab them while you can. You should also try fish tacos at Black Cat, an apple Panini at Melanie’s, and have a milkshake at Troy’s diner. Eat local while you can, Applebees and Cracker Barrel will still be there when you get home after graduation.

#9: Lay in a hammock.

I’ve never sat in an Eno hammock since I’ve been here. Yes, I know I’m lame.

#10: Pull an all nighter that isn’t spent doing homework.

Ten years from now what will you remember about college? How you made a 94 on a psych test or the nights you stayed up making memories with your best friends? Now I’m not saying that you shouldn’t go to class or study, because you should 99% of the time. But occasionally you have to remember to live a little and that there is more to life than getting good grades.  

I am a Junior at App majoring in Apparel Design and Merchandising. I love dresses, thrifting, playing soccer, reading magazines, celebrity closets, bubble baths, mom & pop restaurants, and giving relationship advice. I hate waking up early, band aids, Dr. Phil, and men with big muscles.