This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As someone who listens to just about any music, I can find it to be extremely hard to keep up with all the most recent artists. However, lately I have been listening to a lot of rock or rock-influenced music (I am a sucker for loud guitar riffs and drums), so I thought I would share some of my favorite female rockers across different subgenres and languages. 

Plush

Plush is a new all-female band composed of four women that bring the heart of rock and roll to life. The band’s current and only single, “Hate” is composed of hard rock, similar to that of the hair metal bands of the 80s. The single itself has drums and guitar riffs that are reminiscent of the 1975 Led Zeppelin song “Kashmir.” 

Songs to listen to: Sadly, they only have one single out :(

Rolling Quartz

Rolling Quartz is a new all-female, Korean rock group that has five women, debuting at the end of 2020 with their single, “Blaze.” The song brings a unique and fresh sound to a genre that is not as popular in Korea. With a new voice in the industry of K-rock, I could see them making big waves. 

Covers to listen to: “Good Night” (original by Dreamcatcher), “Misery Business” (original by Paramore)

Lilith Czar

Lilith Czar is a solo artist, whose single “King” sounds like a combination of Stevie Nicks’s voice and the hard, pulse sound of the Nine Inch Nails. The song is composed of lyrics aimed at breaking down the patriarchy and making you want to start a revolution after hearing it. She was formerly a soloist going by the name Juliet Simms with the band Automatic Loveletter. Her first debut album was “Created From Filth And Dust” on April 23rd. 

Songs to listen to: “End of the World” (Juliet Simms), “Trouble Finds You” (Juliet Simms), and “Hush” (Automatic Loveletter)

Bexley

Bexley is a solo artist, who, while having been around since the end of 2018, has seemed to start to gain momentum. With her most recent single, “If We Have to Die,” released in February. It’s a hard-hitting song that gives off the same vibes as the Seattle grunge bands of the 90s.

Songs to listen to: “If We Have to Die,” “Run Rabbit Run,” “ Deal,” and “Toxic Love”

The Beaches

The Beaches is an all-female, Canadian rock band bringing their own, unique sound of music to the rock scene. The band provides contrast with a vocalist that has a lower register voice and soft rock to form a style that is quite addicting. A quick mention that their outfits are always on point.

Songs to listen to: “Money, T-Shirt,” “Want What You Get,” and “Desdemona”

Against the Current

Against the Current is a band that has been around since 2014 with multiple successful releases. That said, my favorite song of theirs just recently came out, so I am putting them on the list. The band is a trio with a powerful vocal front-woman, whose voice was made for the hard rock sound that is incorporated in the song “That Won’t Save Us.” 

Songs to listen to: “That Won’t Save Us,” “Legends Never Die,” and “Weapon”

Special Mention: Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher is a K-pop girl group whose influences are that of J-rock, metal, pop, and EDM, giving them what might be the most unique sound I have ever heard. The group is composed of seven members, after originally debuting with a girl-crush concept with just five members, they soon switched things up. Their new concept was one not seen in K-pop at the time, the concept of horror, witches, and rock and roll. The group has just now started to become popular in Korea after being more popular internationally, with their latest single, “Odd Eye”.

Songs to listen to: “Good Night,” “What,” “Piri,” “Endless Night,” “Boca,” and “No More”

Dm, tag, or tweet me your favorite female rock stars!

@margarethanff1 on Instagram and @HanffMeg on Twitter!

Meg Hanff

App State '23

I am a senior Public Health major with a minor Anthropology from the eastern part of North Carolina. I love music, books (my family might think I love this one too much), sports, and learning about new things.