Life > Experiences

A Girl’s Guide to Packing for Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you’re reading this right now, you’ve probably made the decision to study abroad and get the experience of a lifetime, so here’s to you, bestie! 

Now that you’ve celebrated, it’s time to face the tricky part of packing for your journey. It’s easy to get ahead of yourself and overpack in the midst of all the excitement, but the truth is, you probably need far less than you think you do (and you certainly don’t need any additional charges for overweight luggage)! 

All that being said, here are some tips to get you through the hurdle of packing and ensure that you hit the ground running and prepared to leave a mark on your host country!

1. Instead of planning for the entire trip, try to plan weekly 

Whether you’re going abroad for a few weeks or an entire semester, it can be overwhelming to look at the big picture. Breaking your trip down to a weekly basis will allow you to really think through what you need based on what activities you’re doing, which can help create a foundation for other pieces. If thinking about it weekly still feels scary, try to figure out how often you’ll need to do laundry; from there, you can assess how many clothes you’ll need to last between washes, as well as how many clothes you’ll be able to repeat! And, if nothing else, plan to track how many products you use in a week (if not daily) to give you an idea of how quickly you go through things and what you may need to keep an eye out for!

1. Be bold, but don’t be afraid to be basic

When picking outfits, it’s often easier to start with a statement piece than a basic one. That being said, when you’re living abroad and out of a suitcase, it can be harder to repeat statement pieces without them being recognized. Layering is your friend when you’re abroad – after all, you never know if the weather is going to act up one day, or if a spontaneous weekend excursion pops up. Packing more basics allows you more versatility within outfits, more leniency in repeating combinations, and, of course, more room to buy statement pieces in your host country! Packing a few statement pieces is certainly a good idea, but try not to make your outfits too memorable, either!

1. Do your research and know where you’re going 

While it probably goes without saying, you should always take the time to research your host country before packing. Be familiar with the kind of weather you’re likely to face, and know what you need in order to be comfortable in those conditions. Researching your host country will also allow you to explore the culture; some countries are more conservative than others, in which case you may need to prepare to leave the crop tops at home. It may also be a smart idea to research the institution you’ll be working or studying at, as this may call for more professional dress than you’re used to. And, of course, know what activities you’ll be doing and what you’ll need to do them! A country with beaches is bound to need different things than a country with mountains and hiking trails, so be sure to cover your bases wherever you can. 

1. Be realistic with yourself

Ultimately, you know yourself and how you live. You know the clothes you like to wear normally, and you know the products you like to use. While going abroad certainly gives you the opportunity to reinvent yourself, don’t pack things you know you won’t actually wear. It’s a great idea to step out of your comfort zone and try out a new look, but don’t waste too much space packing for a persona that doesn’t exist. Don’t forget – you’ll have plenty of opportunities to buy things as you go, so if you’re hesitant about it, it may be best to save the space instead! As far as makeup and toiletries are concerned, pack what you know you won’t find abroad, but don’t forget that the majority of products will be available once you arrive. Most of the time, it’s not worth wasting the space for a 3 ounce tube anyhow, and it’ll save more room for clothes!

Studying abroad is a foolproof way to get out of your comfort zone, learn about yourself and make memories to last a lifetime. While it can be daunting to think about stuffing your entire life into a suitcase, know that the memories you take away will be far more valuable than the things you bring with you. Stay safe, travel light and have the time of your life!

Lexi Handler

App State '23

Hello! I'm from Charlotte, North Carolina and am an alumna of Appalachian State University with a B.S. in public relations and hospitality and tourism management! When I'm not writing, I'm probably traveling, playing guitar or lost in a book.