9 Simple Random Acts of Kindness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

One of the best ways to spread a little extra love to those around you is simply brightening their day. Sometimes, making someone else smile can influence your mood, too. And who doesn’t love good karma?

1. Give up your bus seat for the eldery/disabled.

Okay, this is a no brainer, but you’d be surprised how taken aback a person will be if you offer up your coveted seat on a crowded Appalcart ride.

2. Write inspirational notes and stick them in random places.

Finding a little sticky note with a sweet message on the bathroom mirror or on a library desk can instantly make someone smile. Super easy and entirely anonymous.

3. Bring a friend coffee and brain food during an all-nighter.

College is hard no matter which way you slice it, so helping your BFF out by dropping off some encouraging words and tasty treats can give her the motivation to focus on her work.

4. Pay for a stranger’s coffee.

Speaking from experience, this is one of the coolest things that you can do for someone. Just slyly leave your Appcard with the barista and tell him or her to use it for the person behind you. Free caffeine and good karma? Yes please!

5. Offer your handyman a drink.

If you ever have housing come to fix your busted air conditioner or leaky refrigerator, offer him a cold glass of water while he’s working. This little action will make your repairman feel valued, and you can’t beat that.

6. Stack your plates for your waiter/waitress.

This sounds a little odd, but stacking your plates neatly after finishing your meal at a restaurant can really help your server out in the long run, especially if they seem extra busy.

7. Buy a handful of extra cans on your next grocery store run.

Canned food can be super inexpensive, and there all always food drives happening somewhere on campus, so stock up the next time you’re grocery shopping. It’s an easy way to give back to the Boone community.

8. Write a thank you note.

Buy yourself some cute stationary and get in the habit of writing a sweet thank you for any occasion. Send them after interviews, special appointments, or any time you receive a gift.

9. Let someone pull out in front of you in traffic.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who will let other cars go in front of them, and those that won’t. Be the nicer driver and pay it forward. 

I'm a junior Hospitality and Tourism Management major with a knack for writing. I can't get through the day without at least two cups of coffee and scrolling through my inspirational quotes pinboard. 
I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!