8 Things To Do If You’re Going Home For Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you’re like me, you’re heading home for the spring break because 1) you’re too broke for a tropical vacation and 2) you just need to see your mom. But spring break at home doesn’t have to be boring.  It’s the perfect time to rest up, see family and friends, and maybe even attempt those crafts you’ve pinned on Pinterest. So if you don’t have exciting plans for break, try a few of these activities to make your break a bit more interesting!

1. Have a spa day. 

Whether you opt to book an appointment at your favorite day spa for a massage and pedicure, or you whip up a homemade face mask and draw a bubble bath, treat yourself! You probably just concluded a week of cramming for midterms all night in the library, so a little TLC is just what the doctor ordered!

2. Channel your inner Betty Crocker. 

Admit it: you’ve got a whole board dedicated to baked goods on Pinterest… we all do. But how many of those recipes have you actually attempted?  Now is the perfect time! Pick a few delectable recipes that you never thought you had time to whip up, like these s’mores brownies or these chocolate mint cheesecake bars.  Plus, since you don’t have to be in a bathing suit over break, you can feel a little less guilty about eating a whole batch of cupcakes or licking that brownie bowl clean. 

3. Get crafty. 

I’ll be the first to admit, I wasn’t blessed with the craft gene in my family…. BUT, however unfortunate my crafts may turn out, it’s still relaxing to sit down and paint a canvas or make a new addition for you apartment.  Don’t know what to craft? Check out these super cute lamp shade tutorials to totally revamp that boring lamp you’ve got sitting on your desk.

[pagebreak]

4. Go shopping. 

Like any girl needs an excuse to shop… Spring break is the perfect time to do a little shopping and get your closet ready for warmer weather!  Going to school in Boone means that we’re stuck with cold weather even after we return from spring break.  I hate to say it, but we could even have another snowstorm (or five) between now and April.  However, if you’ve got some colorful new threads to look forward to sporting, it will make these last few weeks of winter a little less painful.

5. Have a coffee date with yourself. 

Yep, yourself.  Take advantage of this down time.  Go to your favorite coffee shop, order a massive latte, dive into your favorite magazine or book, and just enjoy a peaceful moment to yourself.  Put your phone down and disconnect from all social media.  We all live lives that are constantly moving at a high speed, so sometimes it’s all too necessary to just slow down and enjoy the simple things in life.

6. Work on your resume. 

It seems like ‘revise resume’ is always on my to do list; but when I’ve got 2 other projects, a paper, and 3 group meetings to do, working on my resume isn’t a priority.  Your resume is a powerful tool that deserves careful consideration and editing, so use this down time to perfect your resume.  If you try to revise it during the chaotic school week, you’ll make more mistakes and leave out information than if you do it when you have plenty of time.  So dedicate some time to your resume, and it will pay off in the long run.

7. Volunteer

Speaking of resumes… volunteer while you’re at home! It’s a great way to help others and even boost your resume.  Check with your local humane society, nursing homes, and food kitchens to see if they could use volunteers.  Spending an hour or two of your week-long break is a great way to give back!

8. Clean

I know doing chores over break isn’t ideal, but a little spring-cleaning never hurt anyone!  Get your pea coat dry cleaned and wash all those scarves you wear daily—I guarantee these things are dirtier than you think.  Wash residual salt off your car.  Clean your rugs and give your carpet and extra good vacuuming.  You’ve tracked in more snow, dirt, and debris on your winter boots than you probably realize.  So now is a good time to freshen up a bit.

I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!