5 Steps Toward a More Motivated You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s that time of year, lovely readers. No, not the holiday season (but that is slowly creeping up). I’m talking about crunch time!

You may or may not be pleased to learn that there are only FIVE weeks left of school left. So you shouldn’t be surprised when all this work seems to appear out of nowhere and poof that thing called a “social life” is nowhere to be found because your days and nights blur together as a result of caffeine overloads and lack of sleep. But that’s a different story…
We’re here to give you five (one for each week that’s left) helpful tips about motivating yourself so that you get off your butts and accomplish some of the TONS of work you’re denying that you have. Don’t worry, your days of procrastination are over, all you need to remember is to breathe and take baby steps.

1. “Be an Optimist Prime, not a Negatron”
Sorry for the nerdy reference, but if you’re in a slump and you’re constantly thinking about how it’s the end of the world because you’re not accomplishing anything, you won’t snap out of it. Really! It’s especially important to monitor yourself and your thoughts. Negative thoughts can lead to negative actions and it’s just a vicious cycle. Instead of thinking about how hard an assignment is, think about what benefits you’ll reap when you turn your best effort in and you get that A! This will help energize you and overflow into everything you do.

2. Make sure you’re not overwhelming yourself
I’ve found that when I can’t get my creative juices flowing, it’s because I’m drained. I know we get the Superman rush after taking on so much, but after awhile, you’re going to burn yourself out. And how can you direct time and energy to more important matters when you don’t have enough room in your planner to breathe?

3. Start small
Like I said, it’s all about the baby steps. If you’re having a hard time getting started on a research paper or starting to exercise, maybe it’s because you’re thinking too big. You don’t have to bust out the paper overnight or start working out six days a week. No, gradual small steps motivate people towards a larger goal. Start by just working out once a week, or spending half an hour on your paper each night and commit to it. It’ll seem like a habit after awhile and then you can gradually increase how often you work out or how much you write each week.

4. Ask for help
If you’re in a slump, it’s only a matter of time until it passes. If you’re having trouble brainstorming ideas for your presentation, ask for help. Talk to your mom or ask your friends for input, because contrary to popular belief, talking about it and asking for advice actually works to your advantage.

5. Make an inspiration board

I’ll be the first to admit that, along with every other middle school girl who wants to date Justin Bieber, I make inspiration boards. It’s not as silly as it sounds because I swear that it works! When you find some free time, go through some old magazines and cut out words, pictures, anything that you find inspiring, or a goal that you want to accomplish. Paint or draw a picture or just do anything to make it YOU. Every time you look at your board, hopefully, it’ll get your creative juices flowing and you’ll be able to bust out your work, easy-peasy.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!