samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons NOT to Skip Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The fall semester is finally here, which means so are afternoons on Sanford, football games, and pumpkin flavored everything. However, with all the fun things that come with the new semester, it can be easy to forget what we’re all really here for: a college degree. Heed this advice next time you think skipping class is a wise decision.

1. Going to class means less studying.

Seriously, you would be surprised how much information your brain soaks up just sitting in class, whether you’re avidly taking notes or not. It may seem like a good idea to skip class to lounge on Sanford, until you’re studying for the next test and all of the material seems like a foreign language.

(Source)

2. Skipping class is a waste of money.

It’s no secret that we all pay thousands of dollars every semester to spend college here in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains. It’s easy to forget that college is not just about parties, relationships, and living on your own, but rather to get an education. We’re paying for our education, which we receive through classes, so not going is essentially wasting your tuition money.

(Source)

3. Time with professors is invaluable!

The average class size at Appalachian is 1:26, and 99% of the full time faculty at App has a doctorate or other terminal degree in their field. College is one of the only opportunities we collegiettes have to spend so much time with such brilliant people! Your professors have so much knowledge and expertise to share, and the only way to soak up this knowledge is by going to the class!

(Source)

4. Class helps you meet people.

College gives you an opportunity to surround yourself with so many different people of different backgrounds, cultures, and personalities. One of the best ways to meet all of these people is by going to class, starting conversations, and making friends. As tempting as it is to skip class in favor of Netflix, go to class and start forming relationships. Who knows, maybe you’ll happen to sit next to your next Prince Charming.

(Source)

5. Going to class prepares you for the real world.

Going to class and keeping a strict schedule prepares one for the real world. Skipping class is a bad habit that leads to skipping other obligations in the future. It may seem okay to skip your freshmen English class every once in a while, but if playing hooky from work in a few years will not be okay, why get into the habit now?

(Source)

Katy Huis

App State

Katy Huis is a Junior Elementary Education Major studying at Appalachian State University in Boone, NC. She enjoys reading, writing, eating and talking. She finds enjoyment in children, animals and her family and friends.