This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

She is the style icon of the decade. She is the person everyone loves to make a royal fuss over. She is Princess Kate Middleton. Whether she is walking down red carpets or running around the royal grounds with her pooch, Lupo, we just can’t get enough. There is something to be said about the way Princess Kate carries and presents herself on a day-to-day basis—I mean, come on, have you seen those perfect eyebrows? As collegiettes, we are submerged in crazy college lifestyles that are so far different from the lavish life of the Duchess of Cambridge; however, I can’t help but think that we could all learn a life lesson or two from her Royal Highness.

Lesson #1: No matter the time or place, remain polished. 

You never see Kate Middleton looking ratchet, do you? The answer is no. I mean, sure, she is the Duchess of Cambridge and all, but there is never a time where she does not look put together and ready for the day. Come on people. If Kate Middleton can give birth and still make an effort to look fabulous, you can make that same effort while walking to your chemistry lab tomorrow morning. Even if all you have to wear is an oversized sweater, leggings, and duck boots—you better work it. Put on a fresh face and comb your hair into a princess-worthy ‘do. You don’t need a royal title to look great everyday, y’all!

Lesson #2: Do not crumble beneath controversy.

So, word on the street is you made a complete fool out of yourself at the bar last weekend and there is picture evidence to prove it? Or maybe there is a nasty rumor going around that you did the-you-know-what with you-know-who? Do not let it ruin you. Princess Kate could have crumbled under the controversy of her topless pictures leaking all over the Internet, but did she break a sweat? No. Follow Kate’s advice and shake it off and show the world that you do not care what they say. Besides, it will probably blow over and be forgotten about in a matter of days, just like Kate’s scandy pictures.

[pagebreak]

Lesson #3: Confidence is key.

Go look at any photo of Kate that has ever been taken candidly by a photographer and you will see that she always carries herself confidently. Her chin is held high and the expression on her face says something like, “I got this.” Also, have you ever noticed how contagious her smile is? As she walks through a crowd, people just smile back. That, my friends, is a lesson we can all benefit from. Walk confidently, share your magnificent smile with the world, and enjoy your surroundings.

Lesson #4: Do not be defined by your relationship.

While it could be easy for Kate to hide behind her royal (and handsome) husband, she shines in her own spotlight. Kate makes a point to flourish in her own career path and ambition. She is independent and well loved for the person she is, not for the person she married. A girl should love her relationship, but she should not be known for her relationship. Kate makes appearances on her own, without William by her side—and so can you. You never want to be the girl who can’t function without her boyfriend by her side. William has given Kate Middleton her title, but he can take no credit for giving her the fabulous identity.

[pagebreak]

Lesson #5: Be well-rounded.

One day Kate Middleton is a fashion buyer for an upscale clothing brand, and the next she’s sporting it out on a volleyball court (while wearing a stylish pair of wedges, might I add!) She can rock an evening gown like it’s nobody’s business, or she can be dressed from head to toe in duck hunting gear. She is a girly-girl and a guy-girl all in one. So, what’s the lesson to be learned here? Seek variety in your everyday life. Mix up your wardrobe, join a club that none of your friends would even dare to join, go to (and enjoy) a Panther’s football game with your boyfriend! Having a little breath of fresh air in your day is key to getting the best experiences out of college. You don’t see the duchess sitting on a throne each and everyday, do you? Enrich your days with variety, and of course, do it with the poise of Princess Kate.