3 Fall Fashion Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.
Listen up ladies! It’s time to pack away the white skinny jeans and flip-flops because fall has officially arrived in Boone. As the leaves start to change, there is no denying that cold weather is literally right around the corner and this season, fall fashion is not just about your standard blue jeans and thick chunky sweaters. It’s about practical pieces that will keep you warm, cute and comfortable. With these three versatile items, you will find yourself creating new looks that will put you on the fashion map until spring comes back around, and we all know that it might be awhile…

Boots:
A great pair of boots will always be a definite staple to any girls’ wardrobe. Not only will they protect you from the elements, but they will also go with virtually any outfit in your closet. (Not to mention, they come in every color and style you could imagine.) For example, if you are more into a fashion-forward urban look, try a pair of lace up combat boots. Pair them with a cute skirt and leggings and you’ll have a look that is girly, rugged, and trendy all at the same time. Or, if you’re into the equestrian look, go for a pair of knee-highs with a flat sole. They will be your most practical choice for all of the staircases on campus and will look great with a pair of tucked in dark-wash skinny jeans. And, as always, for the bargain hunter, you can find the perfect pair of boots without breaking the bank. Check out your local Target (or Target online) and you can find fabulous looking boots for $40 or less. And that’s not even the best part! They will actually last you a full season or two. So, as the leaves start to change, treat yourself to a new pair of boots, your feet will surely thank you!

Capes:
If you’re looking for a way to bundle up without a heavy jacket, go for this season’s must-have trend: a cape. These blanket-like additions are so cute and comfy that you’ll never want to take it off. Plus, it can even give the simplest outfit a touch of glamour. Wear them as an alternative to your normal Patagonia pullover or North Face down jacket and lose the mountain look without sacrificing warmth and comfort. Find them anywhere from Ann Taylor Loft, Nordstrom or even the Ralph Lauren outlet in Blowing Rock. Incorporate a cape into your wardrobe and you will be turning heads while braving the wild Boone weather.

The Men’s Shirt:
For those of you willing to step outside of your comfort zone this season, try incorporating an oversized men’s shirt into your standard girly wardrobe. Who would have thought a men’s staple could be so versatile and actually look chic? Wear them with leggings or skinny jeans and a pair of boots for a smart and sexy look that will have that cute guy in your class drooling. And for that extra flair, add a bright skinny belt around the waist. This will not only accentuate your womanly features, but also add a pop of color that will scream confidence. From solids to stripes, to flannels and chambray, these shirts come in all styles and colors so you are sure to find the one that fits your style best.

So upgrade your traditional jeans-and-sweatshirt fall look for these hip new styles that will make those long walks to class that much more like a catwalk. 

Boots:

Capes:

The Men’s Shirt:

Boots:

Capes:

The Men’s Shirt:

Brittany Fielding is a senior studying Apparel Design and Merchandising at Appalachian State University. She loves to write, shop, exercise, watch sports, and spend time with her friends and family. Originally from Cleveland, OH, Brittany plans on moving back to a big city after graduation to pursue a career in fashion buying/merchandising. 
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!