10 Ways to Spice Up Breakfast On the Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Breakfast is the most important and usually the most neglected meal of the day.  If you pulled an all-nighter the night before, eating a good breakfast usually comes in second place to 15 more minutes of shut eye.   Studies show breakfast not only helps you concentrate in the classroom, but is vital in helping you keep a healthy weight.  On a not so scientific note, having something special to eat in the morning also makes it much easier to get out of bed and start the day off on the right foot!

So whether you don’t make time for breakfast or you’re tired of eating energy bars on your way to class, here are some fun, easy, and healthy ways to liven up your morning routine!

1. Waffle-wich

Transform frozen waffles into a yummy breakfast you can eat on the go. Spread some peanut butter (or nutella!) on two whole grain waffles, throw some fruit in the middle and run out the door.  All you need is a toaster! If you have an extra minute you can also take it up a notch and whip up a savory version with some eggs and bacon. 

2. Yogurt Parfait

Making your own parfait is another great breakfast option.  Start with either Greek or plain nonfat yogurt and add granola, fruit, nuts, cereal, honey, jams, or whatever you have on hand!

3. Frozen Bananas

These frozen banana pops are easy to eat in a rush and again, they’re totally customizable.  The night before, cut a banana in half, stick a skewer through it, dip it in yogurt as a base and roll it in your toppings of choice like chocolate chips, granola, cereal or melted peanut butter. By morning, they will be firm and ready to enjoy. 

4.  Apple Sandwiches

If you’re tired of plain apples, try making these apple sandwiches! Cut an apple into slivers, remove the core and spread with nut butter, sprinkle with granola and little chocolate chips, and enjoy. 

5. Frozen McMuffins

These make-ahead gems pack enough protein to keep you going through a long day.  The sandwiches can be kept in the freezer and you can just pop them in the microwave. Recipe here.

6. Breakfast Sushi

You can make your own “breakfast sushi” by coating a banana in nut butter and rolling it into a tortilla like the famous “Power Bomb” at WrAPPS in the dining hall.  

7.      Breakfast Quesadilla

Everyone knows about the breakfast burrito, but have you ever tried a breakfast quesadilla? Sometimes rolling burritos get messy, but breakfast quesadillas are crispy and still packed with eggs, cheese, and bacon. Don’t forget the salsa on the side! 

8. Breakfast Cookies

Who doesn’t want an excuse to eat cookies for breakfast? The web is filled with healthy recipes for breakfast cookies chocked full of oats and nuts that help keep you feeling full. Here is one of my favorite recipes, but be sure to look for versions low in sugar. 

9. Quiches

The traditional version may take some prep time the day before, but did you know you can make quiche in the microwave?  Even if you live in a dorm, there’s no reason why you can’t still have a killer breakfast.  Throw in anything and everything you have in your fridge.  

10.  Oatmeal Muffins

It’s not practical to take an entire bowl of oatmeal out the door with you, but you can run out with these cute little oatmeal cups.  Also any food that comes out of a muffin tin makes it ten times more fun.  

Photo Links: 

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/20/breakfast-banana-pops/

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/6b/46/54/6b4654c0a799bf6a2464146a…

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/sites/default/files/2535.jpg

http://blogchef.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/breakfast_quesadillas_1.jpg

Kendall is a senior at Appalachian State studying Communication Studies and Journalism.  Though she grew up in the Queen City, she is the daughter of two former Mountaineers and has always considered Boone a second home.  She has a love for dirty chai lattes, Grey's Anatomy, red lipstick, and a future in Television News.