Just when I thought that Drake couldn’t possibly get any better, he released his video for “Hotline Bling”. This hasn’t been just some annoying, top 40 radio-hogging song; I wouldn’t even dare compare it to the rest of those overplayed tunes.
“Hotline Bling” is spreading like wildfire, and with good reason! I, like many others, have become obsessed with the catchy melody. I’ve been a fan of Drake even before he was part of the music scene, and I personally miss “Wheelchair Jimmy” from Degrassi more every day. The song itself has been played on Spotify over 150 million times! Here are some signs you might be obsessed with him as much as the rest of the world:
1. You like listening to covers of this top hit. Sam Smith’s life was obviously changed when he heard it for the first time. Justin Bieber also did a remix, and I’m willing to bet they had it on constant replay, because celebrities can’t even overcome the obsession.
2. “Hotline Bling” memes are everything to you. This is embarrassing to admit, but I have spent more time crying from laughter after looking at the endless vines and memes for the song than I have spent doing homework or studying. Do you have a friend obsessed with pugs? There just happens to be a video of a pug dancing to “Hotline Bling”. The list doesn’t stop there either! There are owls, cats, little toy skeletons, and even Donald Trump himself showing off some great dance moves to the beat.
3. You find yourself relating to the faces Drake makes in the video. At any given moment, you could pause the video and think, “Same here, Drake, I know exactly what that face means.” We could totally be friends, Drake. I just know it, so call me on my cell phone some time.
4. It starts to influence your wardrobe choices. One teacher dressed up as the singer for his students and did the signature dance featured in the video. You’re probably lying to yourself if you wouldn’t be thankful to come to class and see that when you walk in.
5. You put Drake’s face on your birthday cake. I’m not lying when I say I’m incredibly jealous of this person, and I would do anything to get an invite to this party.
6. You dressed up as “Hotline Bling” for Halloween. Kudos to anyone that did this, and if you didn’t win all of the costume contests ever, then you were robbed of a well-deserved victory. It actually is a pretty funny costume idea that most people wouldn’t have even thought of!
7. You’ve changed all your backgrounds and screensavers to Drake-related pictures. Because what else do you want to see when you check your phone or turn on your laptop? The only thing relevant right now, which is “Hotline Bling”. “Hotline Bling” is life, end of story.
8. You tell people to stop texting you, you prefer calls now. Paying homage to the classic line, “You used to call me on my cell phone”, you make sure your friends call you so you have another excuse to quote Drake.
9. Your cross-stitching work is slightly influenced. Emphasis on slightly, because this could mean anything right?
10. You’re in denial about your love. Don’t worry; I was once in denial about how much I loved One Direction. Life is so much better when you accept your secret obsession, because the rest of us are right there with you.