Val Recipe of the Week: Caprese Salad Sandwich

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

As the weather starts to get cold and the leaves start to change, we here at HC Amherst are already craving some of the tastes of summer – like ripe tomatoes and fresh-picked basil.  Here’s a great lunchtime Panini that captures some of those great Mediterranean summertime flavors.

Stuff You’ll Need:
•       2 slices of bread (we suggest hearty wheat!)
•       Sliced tomatoes (the ones near the mustard, not the cherry tomatoes – or your job will be a lot harder!)
•       Fresh basil pesto (only available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays)
•       Sliced cheese (Provolone and White Cheddar work well for days that Val doesn’t have Mozzarella)
•       Balsamic vinegar
•       Olive oil

What You Do:
•       Spread pesto on one piece of bread and pour balsamic vinegar on the other side.  (Be careful not to add too much, or the bread will get soggy!)
•       Assemble the cheese and tomato on the sandwich.
•       Put a small amount of olive oil on the outer side of each slice of bread. (This is optional, but it makes the sandwich tasty and crispy.)
•       Grill in the Panini press until the cheese is melted.

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.