These Boots are Made for Walking. Or Whatever Else You Could Need Boots for

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Boots are my favorite type of shoe. They make me feel confident and can make my look edgy or dressy. I love boots because they have so many functions and are oftentimes my most comfortable shoes. Boots come in all shapes and sizes and this guide can help you to pick the right boot for you and for each outfit.

Ankle Boots:

Ankle boots range in height, from a bootie that rests right at your ankle, to a higher boot that can go to your low shin. Both of these boots serve different purposes and can be used to give your look sophistication without the intensity of a calf height boot or a to-the-knee boot. I like ankle boots because they can give your look a little punch. You can just slip them on and know that you look great. For example, an ankle boot with a buckle or straps are an edgier take on the traditional bootie. You can also opt for a simpler look with a heel to add some composure or sleekness. Because ankle boots are short you can add some volume to the top of your outfit with a big necklace to balance out what you are wearing. Another way to style ankle boots is with wool socks bunched over the top of your boot. This is also a great way to make the ever popular and Amherst appropriate ‘bean boot’ about more than just functionality.  The socks give your outfit a bit of a worn in feel that can help to dress down a pair of boots. I like to mismatch my look with feminine pieces and rougher footwear. A pastel colored cardigan or lace trimmed blouse and biker boots is a really fun combination and can help your boots to have more than just one function. If you do choose to use accessories to make your outfit contrast, I would suggest pearls or a chunky necklace that gives you that volume, but also opposes the harsher vibe of ankle boots. Another reason this is a fun to try is because your outfit wont fit into one specific category of style.

Calf Height Boots;

For me calf height boots are tougher to style because they aren’t as common of a boot length. As with anything, it is important to remember not to go too far in one direction. With this length of a boot you could do a dress or a long sweater. Calf length works with longer pieces because you still have enough space in between your clothing and shoes. Sometimes a dress paired with tall boots can feel overwhelming so calf length is a great way to find a balance. I also am a large proponent of cowboy boots and I whole-heartedly believe they should make a resurgence. For inspiration on how to wear a cowboy boot, please see Sarah Jessica Parker in Footloose circa 1984.

Knee Length and Over-the-Knee Boots;

I love knee length boots because of their ability to add poise to an outfit. A traditional riding boot is good for a classic outfit that can be casual or more formal. To make tall boots formal you can wear them with a tailored dress and formal jewelry. On the other hand, to make the boot casual you can opt for jeans and a trendy off the shoulder top. Tall boots are also perfect for a simpler look that needs some gumption. Whenever I know that I want to wear my favorite boots I try to pair them with something that isn’t too styled. If you want shoes to be the focal point of your look, keep the rest of your outfit simple and low on accessories. This is especially true if your boots have buckles or straps. This way your shoes will be able to make even more of a statement, boosting your confidence. If you have graduated from the knee-high boot and are ready for the over-the-knee trend, you should know that I envy your confidence. I think these boots are amazing and can really take your look far. Over-the-knee-boots are good because they allow you to look put together and sophisticated without doing a whole lot. You could pretty much wear them with a sweater and basic pants and feel fantastic. Wearing a simpler outfit and big time footwear is a great opportunity to do a little something with your hair like a super high pony or on-trend messy waves, giving your look added style. If you wanted to dress up the boots you could opt for a shorter circle skirt or shift dress and tights. Playing with lengths and shapes is a good way to keep your clothing feeling fresh and upbeat.  All in all, let boots help you to feel poised and ready to stomp!

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C