Sub Free Diaries: Milkshake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

I spent the rest of the week feeling pretty homesick after coming back from the short fall break.
Enjoying my food, bed and toilet at home definitely beat writing papers and studying for exams. But no matter where I am, I can always look forward to Fridays.

After classes and a short nap, I went to town with my roommate to buy strawberry ice cream. We were planning to make strawberry milkshakes, so we bought a tub of strawberry ice cream with real strawberries in it. Apparently strawberry ice cream made with real strawberries is uncommon nowadays. We continued walking past the stores and we stopped by Cousin’s Food Market to search for fresh strawberries. It was basically half a liquor store and half a grocery store, except the fruit section was all the way in the back. They did not have strawberries, but at least we tried to look for them.

After I went back to campus, I practiced violin for a bit until my fingers ached. It was almost time for Fringe, so we made strawberry milkshakes… by hand! Milkshakes are actually easier to make than it would seem, even without a blender. Sangbo, my floormate, whisked the ice cream and milk together in the large Ikea bowl that I brought with me. I added in about two drops of vanilla bean paste, which is a thicker version of regular vanilla extract with vanilla bean specks. After all the ingredients were incorporated, it was ready to serve. I’m not a big fan of milkshakes, probably because I don’t drink them often enough to like them, but this milkshake was thick and creamy and not at all like drinking ice cream soup.

Desserts are my alcohol. But even though alcohol has negative effects, so do desserts. After drinking the milkshake and eating Twizzlers and popcorn, I felt kind of sick. I was slightly nauseous and dizzy. This probably happens after consuming too much of anything, be it alcohol or sugary snacks. I felt better a few hours afterward, but next time, I’m going to be careful of how many snacks I eat. This will be a difficult challenge.

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.