Sub Free Diaries: Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

After decorating my window with Christmas lights, I went to the Mead Art Museum to look at a paintings. Despite having lived next to the museum for almost one whole semester, it was only my second visit. I briefly browsed  parts of the museum and I found a cozy place with brown couches, religious art and an unlit fireplace. I believe it’s called the Rotherwas Room. I might have found another great study spot. I headed back to the painting I was there for, McEntee’s Sea from Shore. I spent awhile just sitting or standing in front of it, looking at it from up close, from afar, and from angle to angle. It was quite an unique experience. I was tempted to lie down on the plushy seat in front of the painting, but that’s probably not museum-approved.

Next, I went to Route 9’s Joyride acappella show. The skits were quite entertaining. A few of the scenes related to the drinking culture that one typically sees in college. One scenario was where two guys were playing beer pong and got caught by the Campus Police. If there were a lesson to it, it would be to not drink while under-aged (or to not get caught).

Afterwards, I continued to play Cards Against Humanity with a bunch of people. It goes by the same rules as Apples to Apples, but it is ten times better and I’m not kidding. Basically, someone draws a card which is a fill-in-the-blank statement or a question, and the other players have to draw a word card that they think the person would like the most. There are the worst, inappropriate and socially unacceptable cards in the game, but that’s what makes it so fun. It encourages us to embrace our evil, horrible and totally un-PC side. Oh, humanity.