Staples for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

White Jeans– Generally speaking, the most opportune time to wear white jeans is from Memorial Day to Labor Day (aka the summer!).  The color gives a fresh, clean look, so try to stick with simple pairs with no rips or rhinestones.  It is also important to invest in a high-quality brand in order to avoid revealing too much.

Commonly paired with: wedges

Sundresses and Maxi dresses– While casual, short dresses are known to be a popular article of clothing during the summer months, don’t ignore the maxi!  Even with the longer length, these dresses are just as casual, comfortable, and cute.  Shorter women are usually convinced that maxi dresses are not flattering on them, but there is one for every height and shape!

Commonly paired with: Cardigan, or worn alone

Striped boat neck or long-sleeve is a classic piece that comes in a variety of colors and stripe sizes.  It creates a nautical sense of style, but can be worn in almost any setting!  Many come with ¾ length sleeves, which are perfect for summer.

Commonly paired with: chino shorts 

Jean cut-offs– With summer comes country music, and the perfect article of clothing for these concerts is jean cut-offs.  Maybe even look into making them yourself- a fun DIY to do with friends!  You can go in a number of directions from high-wasted to daisy dukes.

Commonly paired with: floral tops, crop tops

Nicole Yang is an Editorial Intern at Her Campus.  Before joining the team at HC, she previously was the Managing Editor of her college's weekly newspaper, The Amherst Student.  While at Amherst College, Nicole was also a tour guide and a member of the women's varsity squash team.  Her professional experience includes working as a Communications Intern for Comcast and Monster, and her work has been published by Fast Company, Fortune, and The Sports Quotient.  Follow her on Twitter.