Rohan Mazumdar ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Rohan Mazumdar ’12! This guy is truly everywhere on campus – he performs with Route 9 and the Glee Club, plays upright bass in a Jazz Combo, and does Amherst Dance.  On top of that, he is a Tour Guide, an RC, an AAS Senator, and a Physics TA.  If somehow you still haven’t met this guy, you’ve probably seen him walking around campus, ready to offer a smile and a friendly “hello” to anyone he sees.

Rohan, a physics and economics double major, hails from Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and cites music as his “hugest passion.”  He also enjoys running and playing soccer, when he can find the time for it.  Rohan also describes himself as a “mediocre video gamer.”  His favorite games are Starcraft II and Halo.

One of the ways that Rohan has connected with so many Amherst students is by being an RC for the last three years, which he describes as “one of the most formative experiences I’ve had.”  He says, “The training and insight that you get through being in the RC community is really valuable, and has gotten me to ‘grow up’ in ways I wouldn’t have imagined. More deeply, the kinds of interactions I’ve had with residents – with the hope that I could be adding to their lives in a positive way – really has no parallel when it comes to personal satisfaction. It’s been a really special part of my life here at Amherst.”

After graduation this spring, Rohan is planning to move to Connecticut for a few years, where he’ll be working with a small consulting firm.  Before he starts working, he hopes spend some time traveling and, as he says, “getting my stuff together for the ‘real world.’”

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.