Packing for Study Abroad: Things Your Program Won’t Tell You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Please note, before you embark on this packing list, that these items are not listed in any order of importance, and are not mandatory. Just tips I picked up before I came here and thought about after I arrived.

1. Camera: This may seem obvious, but it’s worth mentioning.  A picture is worth 1000 words.  Any camera- disposable, digital, Polaroid, huge-and-complicated, is better than no camera.  Bring one.

2. Dictionary: If your adventures include a language component, a pocket dictionary is worth the weight and packing space.  Internet access can be spotty, so having an actual paper-version translator can be a lifesaver.

3. Thumb Drive/USB: Even spottier than Internet access is printer availability.  A USB makes it extremely easy to transfer work between computers.

4. Metamucil: Several people on my program have found that the different diet here causes…er…problems, which Metamucil helps smooth out (if you catch my drift).  If you don’t, Google Metamucil, and hopefully everything will become clear.

5. Journal: Not a necessity, but writing and collecting various travel scraps in a journal is a nice way both to reflect as you go and to record your thoughts and memories for the future.
 [pagebreak]

6. Condoms: This was a tip I heard from several sources.  Apparently condoms are usually expensive, not easily purchased, and if you are in the midst of a hot-and-heavy hookup, rarely in your man’s wallet.  Protect yourselves ladies; better to be prepared than the alternative.

7. Slippers/Wooly Socks: Perfect for lounging around the house, for keeping your feet warm in cold hostels, etc.

8. Photos from Home, Your Stuffed Animal, That ‘Thing’ You Always Have With You: My program specifically said not to bring a teddy bear or any unnecessaries, but those little bits of comfort are great when you’ve had a rough day and are feeling homesick.  I wouldn’t pack, say, your favorite XL body pillow, but a little bear and a few photos are not going to be a problem.

9. DVDs: Similar to #8, if you have a few movies that get you through rough spots, slip them into your bag.  Sick days and hotel sleepovers are much better when you can watch “The Breakfast Club” or “Step Up 2: The Streets” (just my choices).

10. Hard-to-Find School Supplies: A good planner and mechanical pencils (they sell them in packs-of-1 here, which is annoying and pricey).

Lastly, a quick roundup of obvious things not to forget: a plug adapter, at least 1 copy of your passport, and warm clothing items like gloves and scarves.  I also would fight the urge to bring shampoo and other heavy toiletries.  You can buy these things while abroad, and the weight you save from leaving them at home means you can bring treasures back with you.

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.