Outerwear to Transition Your Wardrobe from Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

It seems like warm, sunny days were the norm here in Amherst only a few weeks ago, but summer weather has given way to chilly temperatures and falling leaves and it looks like autumn is here to stay.  It might be hard to see them go, but shorts and sandals are out and scarves and coats are in.  Here are some cold-weather pieces to incorporate into your closet this fall and winter!

Vests:

Vests are good layering pieces, especially during October and November when you might not want to wear a heavy coat but wearing just a sweater isn’t enough to keep warm.  Quilted down vests are a timeless style offered by a lot of different brands.  L.L. Bean and Patagonia offer several different models at various price points.  Vests offered by these labels and other outerwear companies have a sporty look to them.  J. Crew and Barbour offer more some more feminine styles.

Scarves:

Depending on their weight and fabric, scarves can accent your outfit or keep you warm when you’re outside.  Lightweight cotton and linen scarves look good when paired with simple, unadorned shirts.  Madewell, Anthropologie, and J. Crew offer cute, light scarves that’ll give you a put-together look but won’t cause you to overheat.  If it’s super cold outside and you’re looking for something cozier, look no farther than H&M’s chunky knit scarves.  They’re warm and affordable!

Jackets:

It might not be cold enough to break out a parka just yet, but lots of labels offer stylish mid-weight coats that are perfect for October and November.  Most outerwear companies (The North Face, Patagonia, Marmot, REI, Columbia, or Arc’teryx, for example) make lightweight, insulated jackets that work perfectly for this time of year.  If it gets warmer as the day goes on, it’s easy enough to fold them up and stick them in a tote bag or a backpack because they don’t take up much room.  

Patagonia Down Sweater jacket in “Blue Butterfly”